NEW Red wing Hammer Head Shocks on eBay

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384716015016
New in box. Thought this looked like a pretty good deal, but it seems to be missing the flanges that keep the springs in place? Maybe someone else can figure it out and use it.

They don't seem to know that shocks are sized by eye-to-eye free length of the dampers, not by free length of springs. If those shocks are NOS, where are the spring retainers? Ad shows original packaging for springs but not for dampers. Don't think I'd be inclined to deal with that seller.

There are a lot of decent or better shocks you can put on an XS650 and most outperform the rider and the front end. Hagon,YSS, Ikon, Bitubo, Progressive are a few that come to mind. I don’t lose sleep over how I’m going to get decent shocks on an XS650. The general population isn’t going to recognize that hammerhead anyway. Deep thoughts.

The general population isn’t going to recognize that hammerhead anyway. Deep thoughts.
The general population doesn't know the first thing about motorcycles, period.
I've always wanted hammerheads. I've seen used ones sell for $400. Not surprising that the eBay ones sold for full price in less than 24 hours.
Gary has a point I've never considered about fitment issues. Maybe install them upside-down?

MjIyODA4MA-9ee2f223.png

Speaking of which...
I own a couple of XT500s, and I've always found it weird that they came from the factory with the shocks installed "upside-down", as shown in the above parts diagram. That's the pre-load adjuster ramp up at the top...

s-l1600.jpg

I've even had "helpful" people come up to me and say "hey, your shock's upside-down"...

I guess installation direction depends on damper design. Emulsion shocks, shocks with a separating piston or nitrogen bladder, should all be ok "Upside down". Older/ simpler designs not so much (dual tube?)

Those look GREAT. And that's the point. Didn't mean to sound defensive earlier (or now), but it's all about a look. Sure, modern shocks will work better than 40-year old ones.
I am currently sitting on a pristine set of S&W shocks, waiting for the right project. I guess they were pretty hot in their day, not so much now, but they have a great vintage look.

Didn't mean to sound defensive earlier
If you're talking to me, I'm not offended at all, I was just pointing out the fit and look that's been done.

___I've been meaning to post my shock stash, just haven't...including some S&Ws and Hammerheads and couple of others from 'the 'bay'

If you're talking to me, I'm not offended at all, I was just pointing out the fit and look that's been done.

___I've been meaning to post my shock stash, just haven't...including some S&Ws and Hammerheads and couple of others from 'the 'bay'
No, I was responding to Marty. I had zero problem with what he said, and didn't mean to sound defensive. Was just expounding on my own "deep thoughts."

And yeah, I'd like to see your shock stash. Maybe a vintage shock thread. I've got a couple to post.

Those look GREAT. And that's the point. Didn't mean to sound defensive earlier (or now), but it's all about a look. Sure, modern shocks will work better than 40-year old ones.
I am currently sitting on a pristine set of S&W shocks, waiting for the right project. I guess they were pretty hot in their day, not so much now, but they have a great vintage look.
I've got some with similar ideas.
1644173070168.png

But they need rebuilding, early Marzocchi parts aren't easy to come by.

I'm an old Koni fan. You used to be able to pick them up cheap, not so much anymore. But, a deal still comes around now and then. Not so much for me now though. I know exactly which Koni I want, the 1429 with an offset bottom eye, so my choice is pretty limited, lol .....

OffsetEye.jpg

William---As witnessed by my thumbnail I have used Hammerheads on two xs650's and I do not remember having any fitment issues.....wish I did not sell them...

tim

Don't know what the parts situation is for Konis, 5twins. After Ikon bought out Koni and reproduced the good Koni oil damped double-clicker shocks, they sold rebuild parts that fit the originals as well. Their current top of the line shock offers only 4 position rebound damping adjustment. If they still support the original offerings with rebuild parts, it might be a good idea to stock up.

Yes, 7610 rebuild kits are available but unfortunately, they're kinda expensive ($50 - $70). Thankfully, I've never needed one. The Koni seals are pretty robust. They're not like an ordinary oil seal, they're a big rubber "doughnut" with multiple ribs on the I.D. for sealing. Many times if you do have one that's weeping, simply cleaning the seal I.D. will fix it. Sometimes dirt gets in there.

The Red Wing Marubeni stuff wasn't all that great anyway, basically Showa or Kayaba knock offs. Had a pair of their 34mm fork legs back in the days, essentially same as what came off the XS without the caliper mounts.

Update on this ….
I bought them back then taking a chance but later on got the missing pieces from an eBay seller,
Put them on my 1971 R5 reciently and am very happy,
Close fit to chain guard but clears
….. Many thanks to DogBunny for mentioning they were available !

Back