new state laws

bradshaw106

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
well just got I email concerning the new state laws... currently in the great state of maine we do not need to post our inspection stickers. well that has changed and they are cracking down on exhaust systems and noise levels as well. You have to run mufflers now.. no straight pipes and baffles are not good enough...
im sure maine is not the only state like this what do some of you guys run for exhaust mufflers?? my bike is all setup for a set of gordon scott drags. i was planning on baffles but that idea is shot
any suggestions??

move to ohio! we don't have inspections of any type that i'm aware of and as long as you aren't loud enough to piss off your neighbors then no one cares. i feel bad for people that live in states with inspection laws.

Technically in Montana our exhaust can't run above 95 dbs at 3/4 max rpm but inspections are not mandatory and I have yet to hear of anyone getting in trouble for a loud exhaust.

In Nebraska we have a decibel level but it is rarely enforced. Cops don't bother you unless you are being super loud in the residential areas.

We used to have a pair of silencers in the garage and slip them on the ends of the exhaust once a year for the test,

Slightly off topic, but I thought I would mention to you'all one of the most unusual motorcycle laws in the land, right here in sunny South Carolina.

If you are stopped on your motorcycle at a red light and the sensor does not detect your motorcycle for 2 minutes and change the light, you may legally go through the red light!! :yikes:

I think it's just an attempt to cull the bikers. :eek:

PS: No inspection or helmets either....:wtf:.....we're becoming an endangered species!! :laugh:

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but I thought I would mention to you'all one of the most unusual motorcycle laws in the land, right here in sunny South Carolina.

If you are stopped on your motorcycle at a red light and the sensor does not detect your motorcycle for 2 minutes, you may legally go through the red light!! :yikes:

I think it's just an attempt to cull the bikers. :eek:

PS: No inspection or helmets either....:wtf:.....we're becoming an endangered species!! :laugh:

i sure could use that sensor law here. there is a stop light just down the road from me that i have even ran in my car cuz the sensor is so screwy. also, only riders with temp licenses have to wear helmets here in ohio. once you get your bike endorsement on your drivers license off with the helmet.

i still wear mine though cuz i don't trust soccer moms in Yukon XLs

no inspection in CT unless your bike was bought from a different state. no helmet. i have heard the red light thing applies here too, but i'm not going to try in front of a cop...

No helmets, no problem with loud pipes, no inspections and last time I checked there is no requirement to insure a motorcycle in MT. An endorsement is "required" to operate a motorcycle but am familiar with many who ride without one. Seat belt laws are enforced in cages but can't be stopped for not wearing one as a primary offense. In many ways the residents of MT are allowed to die in most any fashion they choose without nanny-state intrusion.............much to my liking!..........Wesley

What part of Montana you in Wesley? I'm in Missoula right now. And ya I'm one of those who ride around with no endorsement. I got pulled over for speeding around a corner one time and the cop was like "you obviously can ride the bike so I'll just give you a speeding ticket" :laugh:

I'm in the Gallatin Valley between Belgrade and Manhattan. Many years ago I complied with the endorsement thing but doubt I'd do it again. Like my DAD used to say - "There's got to be a 'catchin' before there's a 'hangin'"............Wesley

pumps,

Well, it's just a way for the politicians to avoid what they should really be doing, which is to calibrate the sensors for motorcycles.

There are a couple of intersections in town where is is dangerous to cross even with a green light......:eek:.....no way would I try it against the light...it would be a case of being legally killed because the other driver would not be faulted because he would have the green light! :wtf:

I have a little experience in electrical stuff. Around here in older signals a wire loop in cut into the pavement that has an electric current. When a metal object passes over it there is change in the electromagnetic field that a sensor sees causing the signal to be activated. I suppose some bikes aren't enough to cause it to be sensed. Newer ones here have a motion detector on the cross bars pointed at the various lanes as far as I can tell.
I have run a few....:yikes::yikes::yikes:

We have a red light law too for motorcycles. If you wait more than 45 seconds and there are no other vehicle at the intersection, you can go. The problem is, 95% of the time there are other vehicles around so you either just have to sit there, move forward so the car behind you trips the sensor, run the light anyway when you have a chance, or turn right.

Travis,

Yea...... I've done the move forward and let the car behind trip the light, but the problem there is people are too stupid to realize what I am doing, so they just sit there and don't move. :banghead:

I might try one of these giant magnets that you bolt to the under side of the frame. Anybody had experience with them? :shrug:

PS: That 45 seconds instead of 2 minutes really makes a game of it!! ..:laugh:.... Like, Russian Roulette with 5 bullets! :eek:

(I have had some success with rolling the bike back wards, or approaching the sensor slowly in the first place.)

I have the same problem sometimes.. even if you try to wave them forward they don't get it.

I've done some reading on those magnetic things and the conclusion was they don't work consistently. I guess it depends on the type of sensors the light is using. Some people swear they are a total gimmick and never work, other say they work. :shrug:

Sometimes, rather than waiting for a car to pull up behind me, I feel like it would be quicker to get off the bike and walk over and press the button for the crosswalk. :laugh: I've never done that though.

i've done the rolling back and forth deal on the sensor as well. also i tried rolling forward so the car behind me trips it, to no avail.

what gets me is those knuckleheads that come screeching up behind you at a timed light and stop a foot from your license plate. where was that ass blaster when i needed him at the sensor light?!?!

Back