New to building, not riding, need help.

dalton91

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
First off I just want to say that these bikes you guys are putting together are just outstanding. Such siplicity and yet so outrageous. Anyways, I am 19 years old and I am joing the army this fall, but before I go I would love to have a running street bike when I return from training. I have a mechanical background so building a bike wouldn't be hard (except for welding, never done it).
I really would some quick tips on what not to do and what to do. If you guys can help me out that would be great, I posted a pic of a bike of kinda what I wanna build.

Attachments

• noid-bobber.jpg
    noid-bobber.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 123
break up the project into steps. and accomplish them one at a time. That bike in the pic is the most popular combo of parts ever, so it will be simple to build. also, build the bike YOU want, and ignore the haters.
Since you are not a welder, get the tail section welded by a reputable shop, you dont want to learn welding on something critical like a frame.
and welcome to xs650.com

Sit down and make a punch list of parts you want on bike then start at the top and work your way down. There are alot of shops like mine that build KIT BIKES or will work with you on the build all the way to the end. Last year i helped three guys build there bikes and they did all the labor on the build and one guy who never painted before in his life did such a great paint job that you would have thought this guy painted for years. This year in my new shop i am putting in two table for rent and i already have one guy going to rent one table to build his bike. So you may want to check out some shops in your area or a garage that has good tools that may be a help to you.You can go onto internet and just buy the parts but the FUN PART is making it your own
GOOD LUCK and i want to see pictures
DADDYG

Yep, just read, ask, and think. You must do step 1 before step 2. Make a list. Get a manual!
Have fun at boot camp and thanks for doing your part.

My 2 cents...

I too recommend getting the hardtail welded up by a professional shop. But there is still a bunch of other welding you'll have to do. So if you don't have a welder or access to a welder, it'll be difficult.

Also make a complete list of everything you want and need along with the pricing. I then say add a little more to the cost for things that'll come up along the way that you aren't prepared for. Then make the decision to go for it or not.

Otherwise... I really appreciate you serving our country.

Thank you guys for all your input. Yeah, I am only expect a $1500 build. Also I am 5'9", so wht amount of stretch should I use if any, From reading other posts, it seems that using the original forks is a good option to go with and it still looks good. I will definetly keep you guys updated with pics, but I probably won't start a build till late march due to college and maintence on my car. Again, thank you guys and keep up the great work.

Only expect a $1500 build? That is definitly possible, but if you can't fabricate stuff for yourself and are buying things online, in my opinion you're going to eat up that $1500 fast.

From the photo you attached:
Hardtail: $250
Battery Box: $50
Fake Electrical box: $75
Tank: $100
Solo seat: $50
Solo seat pivot: $45
Bike: $800
I know these are just estimates, but they are just the quick and dirty. Just this stuff adds up to: $1370 and this doesn't include any engine work, carb work, paint, tires, chain, electrical.

I have a 4in stretch on my bike and I love it. I don't have forward controls though. I'm 5'8".

Hello.

I remember when I was 19. I had very little experience with bikes and cars but dreamed about it all day long.
Sadly I was afraid to try it out and it took me a couple of years after that before I got my first bike.

If I where able to go back in time I would just get in to it......not consider "this and that" so much. You´ll learn along the way. Remember, after 25 life goes really fast!!

Lots of fun/BigBoreSwede

Thank you loradoxs for the money quote, I guess it all depends on the price of the original bike. I think that looking around body shops for parts and junkyards. I will more than likely do alot of the parts shopping on ebay and craigslist.
To BigBoreSwede, yeah I think Im just gonna buy a bike and just jump right in and learn along the way, luckily my dad is very mechanically inclined so his experience will be a great help.
Also what are some companies to look into for xs650 parts

Back