New to custom builds and need advice

Inevitable

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey!

In advance I would like to thank anyone who helps me out.

Currently I have a 1981 Yamaha XS650 (should be the first image), and I would like to turn it into a cross between the other two bikes.

My plan is to get a tune up and make sure everything mechanically is in working order, and ride the bike as is until winter. During this time I will be purchasing all the extra parts needed for this (I.E wheels, bars, seat, etc)

Ideally I would like to limit my welding as much as possible, as I do not have access to a welder, and will have to get it done through a shop.

So...what do I want?

I like to keep the padded seat from the second bike, as well as find a nice way to keep the brake and blinker lights on. but I like the bulk rough look of the third bike.

So...what do I need help with.

I have spent most my life taking things apart figuring out how they work and making them better or "cooler" looking...My question is does anyone know where I can find similar aftermarket parts for this bike like the ones in the attached photos, and does anyone have any advice on where to start.

I know this is probably vague description, but I really would love any help you could provide.

Like I said
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5G15Fb5Mb3kd3L13Hcc694dc6f639f74a1660.jpg
    5G15Fb5Mb3kd3L13Hcc694dc6f639f74a1660.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 108
  • d4d7d66b.jpg
    d4d7d66b.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 124
  • xs650-yamaha.jpg
    xs650-yamaha.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 111
honestly, many parts can be had from many places. you can get them from ebay, from your local motorcycle shop, or other independent online retailers.

You will have to study and learn if you truly want to accomplish the end goal you have in mind. Bookmark links that you come across, save clippings, etc. for references. Sometimes you have to search quite a bit to find the exact thing you want. That's just how it is.

but off the top of my head, the red mufflers are called "cherry bomb" mufflers, so search for those. header wrap can be found from anywhere, solo seats can be found anywhere, headlight looks like your standard bottom mounted light. most any fender can be adapted to look like the one in the last pic as well.

I think you will need to be a bit more specific about exactly what parts you are trying to track down.

Ya... vagueness is what I was afraid of. I think my biggest challenge is going to be terminology, and not knowing the correct vocabulary.

So let's start off simple.

Correct me if I am wrong, but both the bikes I used as "where I want to be" have very little frame modification. Just the back end cut off, correct?

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, and if there is a better place to start, but if little modification is needed, I think the easiest place to start would be from the ground up, literally. I'm thinking wheels, disc, and suspension. My only concern is the back fender. I really like the large bulky back wheel in the third picture. Do you think my frame modification will need to be done first to account for this?

If I do not need to do frame modification, by looking at the third image, can you give me a ball park figure on the size of the back and front tire? And I know I can get the tires/disc/suspension from pretty much any where, but is there a specific company you suggest to go through...please keep in mind I do live in the U.S. so that may become a factor as to who I choose to purchase the parts from

Again thank you for your help, and being patient with a beginner

I'm not sure of sizes exactly, but I'm pretty positive you cant get that size tire on the stock frame. Typically the taller/bulkier the tire is the wider it is too. You can realistically only move up about one size in width on your back tire because of the placement of the swing arm and the fact that tires expand during riding. However, look at the angle of the shock in the third picture, and then your shocks.... notice the difference? I think you could accomplish what you're looking for with a longer/wider swing arm. Keep in mind that will probably require a new axle. But a new swing arm can come from just about anywhere. Check the local motorcycle scrap yard if you have one.

For parts though check out http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/

and www.mikesxs.net

I saw that listing on Craigslist for that XS just the other day. I am on the other side of Dallas from you and looking at the same style. I have found that there are a few shops that don't charge a lot for frame modifications that you will need to make that happen. I haven't called any directly yet but have heard that a place in Keller does pretty good work. As far as I know, they can even custom build the frame around the tire you want for reasonable rates.

Ok it has been a minute since I have posted on this thread.

A little update.

I spoke to soon about my xs650. I was under the impression that the bike was a done deal, and I just had to go down and exchange money/ pick up the bike. To my dismay I found out the man sold it the day before I was scheduled to go get it =(.

That being said...I found another one!!!

Relatively in good condition, but has been sitting around for a long time. I have literally already bought the bike this time, and I sent it to a shop to get the basic maintenance done...I.E. carb clean out, engine tune up, oil change, brakes checked and replaced if need be, new tires, and wiring checked.

The shop asked for a few weeks to get this done, which I was willing to deal with...honestly I've been researching and waiting for months so whats a few more weeks?

So now I'm back at planning on what to do with the bike once its finally here.

As I mentioned before I plan on ridding it until winter, and then using the above images as inspiration for my bike. However there are a few things that will need to be replaced before then. One of which is the exhaust muffler. As I do not have a manual (waiting on it to arrive in the mail) and do not have the bike in front of me, can anyone tell me the stock size for a 1981 xs650 special? I doubt I will start with the cherry bombs, and I just need something to get on there for it to pass inspection.

Will these work until I start my modifications?

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/07-0041.html

I would honestly skip the mechanic tune up...

you said this is your first motorcycle, right? That's the beauty of these XS650s, the learning curve aint that bad. I would instead skip the maintenance, read for a week and a half, then do the work in a week and a half. I bet you'll have done your own work faster than the shop and you'll have a better and more intimate understanding of your bike.

And when you get stumped, search here on the site or just ask here in your thread.

@ KentMoney

I've heard its not to bad learning the inner workings of the bike, and I do plan on doing that in the future, however to start I would like to make sure everything is in working order before I begin. Just for the frame modifications alone I will have to take the motor out as well as the wiring etc...But before I do that I would like to know everything was in its' correct spot to begin with in order to draw up a base line.

well, i've always said if you want something done right, do it yourself.

these bikes are old and its possible that the guy you are paying has never even worked on one...

Manuals are all available free online, just google it up. I don't think it's a bad idea to have the bike gone over by a shop the first time. Maybe they don't see many of these but they are mechanics, they're not likely to do worse than a complete beginner would, and realistically I'm sure you'll spend more time riding this year by having someone else set it up first than if you had to learn to do it all yourself first. I know I missed a lot of riding time because I was learning the hard way the first season. Some of you may have been quicker studies but I was constantly screwing around with every little thing instead of riding.

Back