New to the fourm

RockinRam96

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the XS650 forum but have been around these bikes for a few years. My first XS was a 1980 Special that I bought Memorial Day weekend of 2010 to start a bobber project. I spent all summer and winter working on the bike. It did not run when I bought it so my biggest headache was getting it to run correctly. Anyways, I got it all together and running for Memorial Day weekend 2011. I went out no the first ride (about 30 miles) and burnt the spark box up. Searching around for a new spark box I was looking at $500 for a new box. I talked to a shop near me a that built XS' for flat track and they told me my best bet would be to find a blown up points motor and convert my motor to points ignition.

After a while searching around on Craigslist I found a complete 76 that supposedly had a set up motor for $150 delivered to my house. I immediately jumped on it. I pulled the bike out of this guys van and it was in gear. I thought "This is going to suck to push around with a set up motor and in gear." Well the rear tire hit the ground and started rolling. Not set up!!! So I spent an hour that night and had the thing running like a top!

I threw the motor in my bobber project. It now sits in the corner of the garage waiting to be wired.

In the mean time I bought a 1981 Heritage Special that is a mint bike. All original with little to no damage anywhere. The only thing is it has been a nightmare to get running properly from day one. I have a good frined that works on motorcylcles and he is going to help me this summer get this bike ironed out.

The third XS that sits in our garage is my fathers. He has a 1972, red and white, spoke wheels that is gorgeous. Runs like a top and rides great.

I'll have to get some pictures of our bikes to post. But I look forward to learning even more on this forum.

Back