New to this forum and the xs650

I tried to get off the tank today but it was a no go, not exactly sure on how to take it off

Hi Max,
alas, you need to remove the seat before you can take the tank off.
Can you delay removing the tank until you have solved the key problem?
With the seat out of the way, remove the one bolt that holds the back of the tank down,
take the gas lines off the taps, lift the back of the tank and pull the tank back, up and off.

Gorgeous bike, Nothing I like more than seeing a bike of that vintage unmolested. If you find yourself wanting to paint it, get some new tins off ebay or something and store those for later. The inside of the tank is fixable pretty much up to rusted through. The dent is fixable as well just do not get a meat handed hillbilly to pressurize it and blow it up.

You just do not see enough of them in that condition, a little elbow grease and this bike will be a rare sight on the road.

I tried to get off the tank today but it was a no go, not exactly sure on how to take it off

Yeah, it's too bad that the XS2 owner's manual doesn't show this simple procedure.

You unlatch the seat lever on the left side, item #14 in this parts fiche. Unhook the u-shaped catch from the seat hook._

XS1-XS2-Seat.jpg

Raise the seat. You'll notice that the tail of the tank simply sits atop a vertical post (Lower left of this picture).

XS1B-SeatPan01.jpg

Disconnect the fuel lines from the back of the petcocks. Then lift the tail of the tank off that post, slide the tank to the rear about 2", then lift it off the bike.

Here's a parts fiche of the fuel tank, showing how the fuel cap is fitted.

70-73-FuelTank.jpg

The bike originally came with 2 keys, one for the ignition switch, one for the fork lock.
The seat and fuel cap don't use a key.

- - - The bike originally came with 2 keys, one for the ignition switch, one for the fork lock.
The seat and fuel cap don't use a key.

Hi 2Many,
thanks for posting that.
I have to admit that I've never seen that early of an XS650 and alas, that my ignorance has led me to give bad advice.
Obviously, getting the ignition key # off the gas cap don't work if the gas cap don't have a lock.
On the good side, if the seat don't lock down and the tank don't bolt down, Max can remove the gas tank real easy by following the steps in your post.

...I have to admit that I've never seen that early of an XS650...

Hey, Fred. Yeah, we're kinda in the same boat. It wasn't until this massive forum and a couple visits to DogBunny's hideout that I'd seen any XS's other than mine. I worked in the business back in the '70s, swamped with all types, but never saw any XS650s pass thru.

Out here in Fredericksburg we see hundreds of bikes on visit tours, mostly Harleys, but it seems I've got the only XS. Doesn't seem like it while cruzin' thru this forum, but these things really are rather rare...

The key is mia, I will try and take the lock to the locksmith and see what I can do about it. Other than the tank and the lock and brake line, it should start up with no hast. just have to do the usual maintenance, the bike only has 48xxx miles

the tank is way easier to take off than I thought. it was hot as hell outside and I just had no clue on how to take it off so I decided some nice a/c and the forum is how I would figure it out

well tank came off so easy. I figured there would be a bolt holding it but I guess not. I found out that there was left over gas in the tank, which looked like flakey rust water. emptied that then I swished it out with water to remove any sediment. Some came out but not as much as I thought. now it is time to get metal rescue in there

Well finally got started back into the bike again. Have it torn down a little to start getting ready to restore. The metal rescue seemed to clear the tank pretty good. My mom found the spare key so I have that and made a few spares just in case. Now I just have to start replacing things that need to be. Doesn't seem like anything it really too damaged. Carbs look like they will work after a good cleaning and rebuild. Need some various hoses and lines but for the most part it's not too bad. Found the original tool kit under the seat with the Yamaha stamped tools so that was neat. I did find an off and on switch near the battery. I am thinking it might be a kill switch for security reasons or a switch to turn the headlight, speedo and tach off and on.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 151
Yeah I'm in the military and been deployed a lot. Moved twice. So I'm finally settled and now working on it. Also I got a 1981 Yamaha xs400 I've been tinkering with.

Attachments

• IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 131
Awesome, glad you're finally safe and settled. Thank you for your service. Have fun with your bikes!

Back