New to xs650.com

sickofitall

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
HI, my name is Mark. im from N.Y. i just bought a 1981 XS650 (w/ title) a few days ago as a little project to get me thru the winter. Its hardtail chopper with 8! inches of stretch...! that seems a little bit too much for me but it runs (with a charged battery) but PO said it doesnt charge. but it started (1 kick prob. warm) and he clutched first down his drive way. he said he cant get more than a couple block. i figured itll be a good project to rewire and try to figure out this lil charging problem. its quite the hackjob and this tail looks cobbled and dangerous to me but if i can figure out the charging issue ill see about getting a shorter hardtail put on. i do like choppers alot but i have a cb450 that i dint have the heart to chop so i found something cheap that was already hacked but ran and had a title. key word=title. 272614[/ATTACH]"]
IMAG0020.jpg

long.
IMAG0022.jpg[

Well thats about it.

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 3
Whhoooo, that's a long bike, but I like it! Welcome to the forum.
There are tons of charging threads on here. Make sure you use the "search" feature and the "Tech" section.
Good luck!!

Welcome aboard, what lilbill sez about chargin' usually isn't hard to track down the problem if you are methodical. What ignition system does it have?
Start a build thread?

We
heartbeat.gif
pictures.

oops on the double pic.
as far as the ignition, i dont honestly know. i didnt take the ignition cover off. its an 81 so i figured it cant be points, its gotta be electric. am i wrong? :shrug: ill figure that out tonight and get pics of the awesomness of wires left on it. i chopped the wires to the headlight and the key switch. i just want to wire it up to run and charge. the carbs definatley need some attention so i gotta clean those up first and at least get some pods for em as the plugs were rich on idle.
i did do a cold compression test on it though and i got 155 right, 160 left. whats good comp #s for this motor. i know cold isnt the way, but i did it and thats what i got.:D

Being an '81 it has an electronic ignition, or TCI. Unless someone changed it. Since you ripped all the wires out it's a good time to go to mikesxs.com and order a wiring harness. Then for around $87.00 you can have new wires.
I would buy a Clymer manual, you will most deninately need a manual.
Check out www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf for the carbs. READ it ALL until you understand it. Also make sure, like I said, to go to the "tech" section. Read the " Maintenance and General Troubleshooting" to get started.
My advice is always to read, read, read before doing anything.

Hey! :) im new here but not to motorcycles. i didnt rip the wires out. i cut them. and yes ill get a manual.
just some background. ive been riding/racing offroad bikes for years (20 or so) and as far as carbs go, im sure i can handle that much. but i will read and study your link. thanks.
i read your first reply and your signature and the first thing i thought was i have to get a shop manual. i just picked it up monday and i got till spring to sort it out. i have a cb450 that i ride right now.
272618[/ATTACH]"]
IMG_20110709_184217.jpg

and i worked in a book bindery for a long time running folding machines. im an operator at sewage plant now. mechanically ill be fine. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_20110709_184217.jpg
    IMG_20110709_184217.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 7
Sorry, I saw "chopped".
We normally post the info on the carbs and tech stuff first to help lean new members towards these sections. I'm not questioning your intelligence. We see a lot of the same post's over and over that can be answered with a simple search, so we help by providing some reading to start with. That way there is not, yet another, "Help, won't run" thread.

That's cool. I've been visiting moto forums for years. I've already cruised the site and I'm very familiar with search functions. So far this place seems very informative and entertaining. There's a ton of knowledge here and so far very welcoming. I'm kinda an old punk so I can be sarcastic in thought but that always gets lost in type, I really appreciate your direction so far.
I'm kinda stoked to have a hardtail chopper in my garage. just a dream I've had for years since I started watching OCC... Joking.

To second lilbill there are some specifics and mods for your year of BS34's (If stock, yours should have foam floats) that the guide and a bunch O threads point out and if dealt with the first time around might save a second trip in.

Oh hell yeah. At the most I want a 2" stretch, 2-3"drop. I like chops short and compact with chunky tires. T bars or tight trackers. I'm all about skinny, low, loud Lanesplitters.

Welcome to our little slice of the wonderful world of the XS650.
Being your bike is modified I doubt it has much of the stock wiring intact. Mike's harness is great for a stock replacement, but on yours a bit of wasted money.
As BowWow mentioned there are many wiring diagrams on here. Find one that has the parts you have and go from there.
Once you get the manual, you will find the procedures to check the charging system. Most often if the wiring is ok, is the brushes, they wear to short, next is the rotor, as it ages the resistance goes up or goes down, either way it needs replacement. Then the reg/rec and the stator can be bad, a bit rare but it does happen.
If you have the need of a second set of hands I live about an hour north of you.
Leo

Welcome to our little slice of the wonderful world of the XS650.
Being your bike is modified I doubt it has much of the stock wiring intact. Mike's harness is great for a stock replacement, but on yours a bit of wasted money.
As BowWow mentioned there are many wiring diagrams on here. Find one that has the parts you have and go from there.
Once you get the manual, you will find the procedures to check the charging system. Most often if the wiring is ok, is the brushes, they wear to short, next is the rotor, as it ages the resistance goes up or goes down, either way it needs replacement. Then the reg/rec and the stator can be bad, a bit rare but it does happen.
If you have the need of a second set of hands I live about an hour north of you.
Leo

Man! :thumbsup: If I were you I would jump at the opportunity to wrench with XSLeo. This guy knows his stuff. He is an XS650 wealth of knowlege.

Glenn

BTW - Welcome to the forum. :bike:

Sweet Leo, I know whereabouts Lebanon is. I'm definitely gonna wire it myself. I wanna do this all myself. I want this to be all mine and I'm always up for a challenge.
Just for the record - $700.

Ok, so i got to unwrap the wires that are left and this is what im working with. uuuugh, a real nest!
272680[/ATTACH]"]
IMAG0026.jpg

parts of the harness are here so i think thats good.
272682[/ATTACH]"]
IMAG0029.jpg

everything was/is grounded straight to the valve covers. i dont know if this is normal.
272684[/ATTACH]"]
IMAG0030.jpg

272686[/ATTACH]"]
IMAG0032.jpg

and what are these?
272688[/ATTACH]"]
IMAG0027.jpg

272690[/ATTACH]"]
IMAG0031.jpg

i figure ill just keep using this post till i get some stuff figured out. so please stay tuned to this one. thanks. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg