new well, sort of. 2.5 year project with a reason for time

ktap46

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I bought a 1980 xs650 about 2.5 years ago. at first I was really ambitious to get the bike to how I wanted it. for the first couple of months I got quite a bit done. turning it into a hard tail, thanks to TC bro's and a few other companies with their bolt on/weld on kits. about 6 months after I started this project I had an accident and broke my neck. in my eyes it was nothing serious, since the doctors did a great job installing a new vertebrae and sewing me back up. I was back at work within a week. well now about 2 years later I am ready to start working on it again. so once I have a little more cleaning done I will post some pics.

Good luck getting back into the build, you're going to relearn things you never realized you forgot. I did and mine only sat a few months at a time.

haha a wreck would be much cooler. I actually dove into a pool and it wasnt as deep as I thought.

You're very lucky. A family friend did that and he's been in a wheelchair about 15 years now. He rides actually, H-D with sidecar and a compressed gas shifting system, it's insanely cool for a techy like myself.

Did your doctors give you any warning about serious re-injury?

~ Derek

when i was a kid, i dove off a dock into a lake, and a stump was just inches under the water. nobody saw that i had the wind knocked outta me, lucky i was able to hang onto the stump until i regained my composure. went rite back to marco polo with about ten other kids.
kids. indestructable. i turn 40 this friday, and cant even handle two flights of stairs without my knee shakin'.

Back