New xs650 engine owner in Idaho

Norman1950

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just purchased my first xs650 engine from a local craigslist ad. I like to work on projects and do a lot of my own work. Right now my everyday driver bike is a 2007 Midnight Warrior with a "few" mods.

I am currently working on a 1980 GS1000 Cafe racer style. Again purchased off local craigslist. Made my own fiberglass seat cover. In the process of painting the seat pan and tank and frame/engine. Should be a fun one when I am done.

I also have a 2007 Harley Roadking that is way back on the project list. Bought it for the engine, but thinking about rebuilding it to the way I want it. I bought it after it went through a house fire. It got burned up pretty good. But have all the tins, frame, forks and engine. Should be a fun one.

And now on to the xs650. Got the motor for $100 off CL ad. Haven't had a chance to check to see how well it turns over. Both cases were taken off and partly painted a weird red. It seems too thick to be regular paint, have to check into that part. Looked at the shift shaft and has red paint on end of it. Not sure what the splines look like (might need a new one). It is extremely dirty with "auto body" dust and dog hair all over it. I got it without the carbs and carb boots, but not too worried about that part. The plans I have for it is to do a chopper style.

I have a Santee rigid frame that I got really cheap (the kid didn't know what he had). I have a 21" Takasago wire front wheel, but doesn't have a spot for brakes. Also have a 23" xr500 front rim with drum brakes. But this one have very limited tires that can be put on it. Still don't have a rear wheel. Have been looking for a wire disc brake wheel. From the motor numbers it seems to be a 78-79 XS650 engine. I would like to make my own springer front end. Leaning toward the regular springer. Instead of harley springs, I was thinking about using a set up from a mountain bike rear suspension springs.

Sorry for the rambling on, as you can see I have a lot of projects on my mind going different directions with each one. So I will be on here lurking and learning about the bike from many of you experts.

Andy
Boise, ID

Back