New XSer looking for model year preferences

chayko

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am an older long time motorcyclist (also have a BMW R1100S) do all my own wrenching and I am looking to do a XS650 based cafe racer over the winter (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). I am looking in Ontario, Canada and have found a number of them but am looking for preferences on model years - so far, my options are:

A pair of XS's as a package - a 1972 (was accidented - for parts) and a 1976 complete but not running(lower mileage - 30,000 km)

A 1978 running, with lots of spares but higher mileage.

Prices are similar.

Thoughts?

Go for the '78 w/ parts. The '72 has parts that won't work with later 447 models. More 447's were built than the old 256's

The 72's early frame and engine, with collector pricing for parts, would be a bit more challenging.
The '76 and '72 have too many subtle differences to serve as parts bikes for each other.

For someone new to these machines, the running '78 may be a better choice.
The non-running '76 may have hidden/secret problems...

Later frames forks are bit heavier but also stiffer and cafe mods are more available for the later bikes. You don't say what "higher mileage" is. Probably a good idea to do a top on any old XS anyways.
But best bet is to buy all three!

For the cafe look my preference would be a standard/roadster over one of the special models (more upright rear shock position) . Unless you want disc brakes then you will want one of the specials but not 81-83 (drum brakes).

Hi chayko and welcome,
I'm with Gary, if circumstances permit, buy all three.
The '72 is mostly on it's own for parts but how bad is it? A viable resto or only good for parts?
The '76 & '78 have different forks & front brakes but they'll swap if you swap the entire front ends.
If you can only buy one, get the '78.

Thanks for all the great info so far - a few updates(in Bold) to complicate things a little;

A pair of XS's as a package - a 1972 (was accidented - for parts Bike was T-boned - frame is bent) and a 1976 complete but not running(lower mileage - 30,000 km) $1500 us for the package

A 1978 Special, running, with lots of spares but higher mileage- found out mileage is actually only about 21,000 miles. includes both single and dual disc set ups, high volume 2 into 2 pipes, $1500 us

A 1983, Special running, about 32,000 miles $600US will cost about $250 to get it to me

Thoughts?

I would forget about the '72 - '76 package. As far as deciding between the '78 and '83, its a bit more difficult. My first instinct is to go with the '83. has electronic ignition, better rectifier/regulator, its less expensive, the money you save could be put towards repairs and upgrades. However, if its a distance from you, and you are not able to inspect it before purchase then you're taking quite a chance.

The '78 you may be able to inspect, and it may have upgraded electronics. Don't know what the Canadian market is like, so I don't have a feel for the price being asked. What are high volume 2 into 2 pipes, and why is that a selling point?

Without more information or pictures opinions are just shots into the dark.

Going with a cafe racer in mind.
The '78 is going to have mag wheels, rear disc brakes.
The '83 will have spokes and a rear drum brake....also rear drum mags can be had, though a bit rare.
Points on the '78 vs TCI on the '83 like musket pointed out, unless the '78 has been converted/upgraded.
There's a lot that can be done with the bucks saved on the '83 but what kind of issues might you come across with an 'out of country' purchase?
Yeah, pics would be nice.

Hi chayco,
me too with getting the '78.
At least it's local so you can see it before you make an offer.
A point I'd want explained is why a Canadian sale has to be in US dollars?
That's north of 2G in Canadian money!
And I dunno about those high volume pipes. Just what does that mean anyway?
No matter, any used bike deal is a gamble, I wish you good luck.

Don't state where the bikes are situated, US or Canada

If the bikes are Canadian then the 83 should have mag wheels with a drum rear mag wheel. Standard configuration for an 83SK Heritage Special 5V5-******. If the TCI Ignition works, all well and good, but 33,000 Miles is at the range where the TCI could start having problems.

If getting a Special a 78/79 are my preferred models. Tinned side-covers, hinged seat and the rear tail-light. The cost of rebuilding the 78 or 83, charging system can be kept in a low budget compared to a PMA swap, and upgrading the Regulator and rectifier can be done very cheaply compared to buying a new Solid state combined Reg/Rect. Some good threads on this here.

If upgrading the Points ignition, (78), to a Pamco or the TCI, (83), to a Pamco, the 78 will be cheaper because the advance rod and bushings are already in the head/cam.

Can some of the spare parts from the 78 be sold to help fund the purchase?

Just some considerations.

Yea, pics help to give an indication of the state of the bike. Most of the guys here will spot stuff you would never know about

Hey chayko. I'm in Ottawa too, just passed on a '84 'Heritage special' that had 377000km on it. Yeah, that's right. 377000km... Guy wanted 1500$ for it. When I got there to inspect it, was missing a rear signal light and had some electrical issues. Gave me a bad gut feeling so I passed on it. Guy was pissed off. I'm looking really hard for one too. I wonder, have you bought'n yours yet?

Back