new zealand xs650

deavoll

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i figured i would make a build thread of my bike so ive got somewhere to put all the pictures ive been taking.

I got it a few months ago off trademe after looking for one for almost a year, it had been pulled apart to be restored then the guy gave up.

Ive got a hard-tail, tank, and a couple of other things coming from the states for it.

Ill dump a whole lot of pictures of what ive done so far then update as i make more progress.

IMG_02791.jpg

IMG_02811.jpg

IMG_03291.jpg

IMG_02941.jpg

IMG_03001.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_03481.jpg

IMG_03351.jpg

IMG_03381.jpg

IMG_04171.jpg

IMG_04201.jpg

IMG_04751.jpg

IMG_04731.jpg

been making a bit of progress lately and some parts showed up from the states.

heres my cole foster gas tank

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

heres some velocity stacks i had made

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

The front disc looked ugly so i drilled some holes in it

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

shaved forks..

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

and cut out neck gussets and mounts etc

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Welcome, and congrats on your new bike.

With the strict MOT laws over there how will you get away with the neck brace removed, and what is the process you have to go through to get the bike registered for the road with frame modifications, now you are putting on a hard tail.

Welcome, and congrats on your new bike.

With the strict MOT laws over there how will you get away with the neck brace removed, and what is the process you have to go through to get the bike registered for the road with frame modifications, now you are putting on a hard tail.

Its already registered so i just have to get a warrent every 6 months so im not sure how ill go with that, probably have to find a mate who will overlook some things.
im not to worried at this stage i just want to build the bike how i want it.

Welcome. Pleasure to have more kiwis on here! 650Skull does make a good point about the neck brace - however given the bike already has rego, and if you repaint the frame, it might not be picked up at warrant. Prob go under the radar. But - personally id put a brace back in. Its not a big job & you dont want the front end folding up like a taco at 120!

I suspect you will need to get a hard-tail certified even if you have rego all ready. Welds will have to be good and pass inspection under x-ray. I recommend Steve in Hamilton at F1 Motorcycle works.

Hey man, Good to see another kiwi here, I have hard tailed my xs.

You can get warrants with the hard tail but it will be a dodgey wof as the bike needs cert for the structural work. It wont need xray inspection if its done by a properly certified engineer, The engineer can give a decloration of work. I hope that helps!

Its already registered so i just have to get a warrent every 6 months so im not sure how ill go with that, probably have to find a mate who will overlook some things.
im not to worried at this stage i just want to build the bike how i want it.

Good luck with that. If you haven't researched the requirements then you may be building the best looking boat mooring in NZ.

Just done some research in the last 1/2 hour while writing this, there are 12 people in NZ who are registered to certify a modification like you are doing. My guess is they won't certify it if they do not do the structural work.

If you want the links just ask

Technically a Certified Engineer would need to do the hard tail.

Then an independent certifier will inspect the welding. Generally the engineer has a regular certifier that inspects all of his work.

Good luck with that. If you haven't researched the requirements then you may be building the best looking boat mooring in NZ.

Just done some research in the last 1/2 hour while writing this, there are 12 people in NZ who are registered to certify a modification like you are doing. My guess is they won't certify it if they do not do the structural work.

If you want the links just ask

Yea i realise if i want it 100% legal i have to get the hardtail certified which shouldn't be a problem im getting the hardtail welded on by a friend whos a qualified engineer etc.

Hey man, Good to see another kiwi here, I have hard tailed my xs.

You can get warrants with the hard tail but it will be a dodgey wof as the bike needs cert for the structural work. It wont need xray inspection if its done by a properly certified engineer, The engineer can give a decloration of work. I hope that helps!

sound good man cheers for the heads up

bit of an update, finally got my hardtail the other day so i can start making some proper progress

I made an exhaust, it still needs to be cut to length. im new to welding/making things from steel so its been a bit of a learning curve.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

i got the idea for this kind of chain tensioner from one of the angry monkey triumphs.

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

heres the fender ive been working on.

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

and the frame put together.

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778-1.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

Bike looks sweet dude.. I'm currently building one myself. It's basically a twin of this....
Ive had my cole foster tank here for about 3 months now and im still waiting for my ardcore tail to come. Been 7 weeks and counting.. LoL.

I'll have to get a build thread of my own going...

Anyways, like i say, looks sweet man... (subscribed)

cheers man,

I had to wait a couple of months for the hard tail to come, it was pretty frustrating but worth the wait. all the welds a perfect and it just looks really well made.

you should defiantly get a build thread going.

Yeah I've read a few posts that say there slow but I don't care about the wait. There tail is one of if not the best looking tail out there and I know it will be worth the wait.

Once my tail from Ardcore and my rephased crank and cam from Hugh arrives I'll defiantly get a build thread up. Oh and once my new frame comes. I currently have a 9th month 75 frame and a 73 motor but I just scored a 10th month 75 frame and matching number cases !! 10th month 75 is the month and year I was born so I will now share a B'day with my bike, Had to be done !!! LoL.

Back