Newb - Need Some Opinions after Oil Change Findings

ctknuckler

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have just aquired a 79 special with no bike history. During my first oil change i found some metal/plastic shavings in the side cover filter and larger plastic pieces in the sump filter Does this sound/look like cam chain guide? (See pictures). I am looking for opionions on what I "NEED" to do next. What are the major risks I am facing if I just replace the the filters and run it?
Filter.jpg

Sump Filter.jpg

Welcome to the forum ctknuckler.
Like Marty says you are seeing front cam chain guide debris.
It is formed as a channel and you are seeing the side rails.
You might want to look/feel up in the front to see if you can determine if the rest has seperated from the base.
If not you may choose to run it awhile longer to see what is in the oil at the next change.
If it gets to the point you are chipping aluminum off the base you are running the risk of a piece of it in the roller bearings of the crank.
So the long and short is don't necessarily be overly concerned with plastic BUT aluminum.
If you decide to R&R look for a Yamaha part. More expensive on the initial purchase.
Smarter money though.
You need to look for the patch on the sump filter if it has just flattened the flutes.
These are strainers designed to be cleaned and reused. As opposed to a one time use filter.
A new one will soon look the same without the patch or a deflecter over the filter.
Unless you are willing to allow time to warm the oil before each ride.
Now that I have Dogbunny's temp gauge it becomes apparent how long it takes to warm the oil to 100 degrees.

Back