Newbie Question- 1975 xs650

zjmuss

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- I'm new to the xs650 forum as I've just recently purchased my first vintage bike. I'm a recovering crotch rocket addict and bought a 1975 xs650. The bike runs, but there are a few things it needs. I don't have enough information YET to get what I need, so I'm hoping you all can help. I'll just list a couple of questions I have and try my best to explain:

1. I need a throttle assembly. Is there a specific one I should be getting? I see universal ones on MikesXS, but I'm not sure I understand the difference between a single pull and double pull throttle assembly? any help as well as a good place to buy such an item would be awesome! I want to make sure this bike is done right.

2. Can anyone tell me more about this whole permanent alternator thing I've heard about? It apparently gets rid of the battery and my rusty battery box?! I like the idea of my bike being kick start only, so this is very intriguing to me.

3. Like I said, I'm recovering from crotch rocket addiction... I've searched a bit and have found bits of info about converting my front brakes to dual disc... Is this possible without much fabrication? In other words, is it something I can bolt on and go by simply buying the right parts?

Thanks so much in advance guys.

Your '75 has separate carbs, each with it's own throttle cable. Two cables run up to the twist grip so you need the "dual" pull assembly. The twist grip needs to pull two cables. Later models linked the carbs together and only had one throttle cable. They use a "single" pull throttle assembly. I would try to get an original off eBay or in the classifieds here.

I'm not much into the permanent magnet alternator thing. The stock components work just fine if in good shape. You can and should consider upgrading the voltage regulator and the rectifier. Modern components can be substituted for them for not much money. An auto regulator and a rectifier from the electronics world can be swapped in for not much more than $30 or $40. Do a search here on the site, lots of posts on this.

A dual front brake is over-kill on one of these. The single disc is more than enough, just go through the system. Clean the MC and caliper out, and switch to a stainless line.

Back