Newbie: Trailered home...now wont start...

Hi King,
as long as the gaskets is complete, not part of it stuck the the head and the rest to the carb manifold it should be re-usable.
My carbs have been off and on a time or two and the manifolds still have the original gaskets.
But I've never used gasket compound on them.

I wouldn't use any sealer. You'll tear the gasket apart and ruin it next time you try and remove things. But maybe that's not a bad thing. A fresh gasket in that location might be a good thing. When I install manifold gaskets, I put a small ring of sealer between the gasket and manifold but nothing between the engine and gasket. This isn't really for sealing purposes but rather so that the gasket comes off with the manifold anytime it is removed.

I am usually able to use that gasket for the life of the manifold. Then a new manifold would get a new gasket. Be aware that the original gasket is quite thick, about 1/8" or so. Some of the replacement aftermarket ones are just a normal thin paper gasket. I don't recommend them. You want the original style thick gasket for better sealing and possibly better heat isolation from the motor for the carbs and manifolds.

I wouldn't use any sealer. You'll tear the gasket apart and ruin it next time you try and remove things. But maybe that's not a bad thing. A fresh gasket in that location might be a good thing. When I install manifold gaskets, I put a small ring of sealer between the gasket and manifold but nothing between the engine and gasket. This isn't really for sealing purposes but rather so that the gasket comes off with the manifold anytime it is removed.

I am usually able to use that gasket for the life of the manifold. Then a new manifold would get a new gasket. Be aware that the original gasket is quite thick, about 1/8" or so. Some of the replacement aftermarket ones are just a normal thin paper gasket. I don't recommend them. You want the original style thick gasket for better sealing and possibly better heat isolation from the motor for the carbs and manifolds.
The problem is one gaske was stuck on the head. I didn't remove it and I left it on while cleaning the carbs. Can I just bold it it back on. Or do I have to remove and replace with new gasket?

You got to ask yourself "are you feeling lucky?" Because that's the only possible internet answer. You know the "correct" answer.

All old motorcycle owners dance around this one. Everything on the bike is 40 + years old. So we end up walking that line leave X alone and hope it doesn't die or full overhaul with new parts, for most of us it's somewhere in between. I n matters of carburetion and ignition I've been bit so often I tend towards the replace and check everything.

The correct plug is a BP7ES. The "BP" designates a projected tip. The electrode hangs out the bottom of the plug a little more than a plain "B" type does. This gives a better burn. The number indicates the heat range. An 8 is one step colder than the 7. It may burn darker and foul easier. Don't get the plugs at a bike shop, they charge too much. Most auto parts stores carry these now. I recommend getting a 4 pack so you have a spare set .....

CorrectSparkPlugs.jpg

Check and set the plug gaps when you get them. Most plugs come gapped in the mid to upper 30s for cars. This is too big for your bike. Gap them at about .028" if the bike still has points.
Hey man this is an old post but maybe youll reply. I have a 75 and running B8ES and no problems. At least i dont think so. Lol new to old bikes but everything feels right. So what are the perks of this #7 hotter plug??

Even though the #8 heat range plug was what the factory called for when your bike came out, it's become accepted practice to run the hotter #7 plugs in all the 650s now. Also, the "BP" type with the projected tip is supposed to give a better more complete burn. Plugs are cheap. Get some and try them. If you don't like them, switch back to the 8's, but I think you will find they run better and burn cleaner.

Even though the #8 heat range plug was what the factory called for when your bike came out, it's become accepted practice to run the hotter #7 plugs in all the 650s now. Also, the "BP" type with the projected tip is supposed to give a better more complete burn. Plugs are cheap. Get some and try them. If you don't like them, switch back to the 8's, but I think you will find they run better and burn cleaner.
Cool man, will do!
Im new to the 650 scene so I’ll have alot of questions! Ive noticed you have quite a bit of the knowledge on this forum. I see alot of replies by you. Thats great.

Check out my pics. Right side plug has bike in the background. Left side does not. Left side plug a little wet and gassy but looks good. These are #8s. Thoughts??

Attachments

• FFFE5863-1A44-49C2-8F3A-5CF679C452AA.jpeg
    FFFE5863-1A44-49C2-8F3A-5CF679C452AA.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 88
  • FDE7E623-67D1-4005-BD1C-B3BA039A9EB5.jpeg
    FDE7E623-67D1-4005-BD1C-B3BA039A9EB5.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 91
Back