Newbie with a couple questions.

So the guy might even be on this forum but do you guys think $800 is worth it for this?

This is what I've been told about it so far. Not sure it's worth it. Having no real knowledge of the motor makes me a bit suspicious.

As best that I can tell most parts are there. I swapped this for another
bike I had and it came in boxes. I have the hardtail tacked into place. The
wiring harness is there but it is missing the ignition switch and voltage
regulator. The hardtail is mfg by TC BRos and seems to be a quality piece.
The top end of the motor has been disassembled and the motor has been
cleaned with the side cases painted black. The carbs are there and most
likely will need to be rebuilt. It looks to have a fresh rebore/Hone and has
a gasket kit included with it. I have two fuel tanks for it as well as a set
of wire wheeels(fair condition) and a set of front forks.If you know this
type of bike you understand the popularity and the abundance of parts that
are available(both stock and High performance). Check out Mikes XS on line
to see what I mean.As I stated it is a serious project needing assembly.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 128
Personally, i don't think it's worth $800. Maybe 5 bills? You're going to have to get the frame welded (since it's only tacked into place) and put the engine together - depending on what your shop is like, that could take a weekend or months. What parts are missing?

this is a good deal - two bikes for $700, one with a title, one for parts. :D

:agree: I was thinking 4, but it's a matter of how much you want to spend. You say you're a newbie so I'm only going to assume you'll be paying for quite a bit of the fabrication. And the fact that the engine is in pieces is terrifying. It's one thing whenever it's together and rotting, but it's another whenever it's in a thousand pieces.

Yeah I decided to pass on it, I offered him $700 and wouldn't take that. As far as the fab/build goes I'm doing all of the labor except for welding the tail on. I'm not scared of tackling the rest but I'm no welder. I will prep the frame myself and probably tack the tail into place but I don't trust my welds with my life so I will have a pro do that.

As far as those other bikes Sundie I would pick those up if Pitt wasn't so far away. :(

NVT: yeah, i didn't look up where Levittown was. Took a shot on the Pitts. :)

At $800, that guy's trying to get the money he spent on parts back out. Which isn't unreasonable from his point of view, but i doubt anyone's going to pick it up for that.

Just keep cruising Craigslist/Kijiji. Tis the season, so just be patient.

NVT: yeah, i didn't look up where Levittown was. Took a shot on the Pitts. :)

At $800, that guy's trying to get the money he spent on parts back out. Which isn't unreasonable from his point of view, but i doubt anyone's going to pick it up for that.

Just keep cruising Craigslist/Kijiji. Tis the season, so just be patient.

Thanks, never heard of Kijiji. I drove an hour to look at one last night and it literally sold minutes before I got there. The guy who bought it was still there. Going to look at a 79 Special on Sat for $850, 20k miles, carbs just cleaned, needs a head gasket, everything else is good. We'll see.

Head gaskets are fairly simple. I've gotten it down to running -> out apart on the desk -> back together on the desk -> installed running in less than 8 hours. With beer.

who knows what i might accomplish if the engine was the only thing lubricated? :D

Head gaskets are fairly simple. I've gotten it down to running -> out apart on the desk -> back together on the desk -> installed running in less than 8 hours. With beer.

who knows what i might accomplish if the engine was the only thing lubricated? :D

Soo having never done it, it will take me saaaay 20 hours? :p

Not to impugn the honesty of a used bike seller ( I are one) But what are the odds it's "just" a head gasket? Sorry if I sound like a broken record but a non running bike is rarely worth more than $500.00 Just too many What if ??? is broken too? questions that can't be answered $$$$$$$$$$$$

Not to impugn the honesty of a used bike seller ( I are one) But what are the odds it's "just" a head gasket? Sorry if I sound like a broken record but a non running bike is rarely worth more than $500.00 Just to many What if ??? is broken too questions that can't be answered $$$$$$$$$$$$

It runs, is inspected and streetable. From what he said it just slowly leaks oil from the head gasket if it's parked on the kickstand, says when it's on the center stand it doesn't do it. :shrug:

Perhaps I read this wrong if it is running and jus leaking oil then it's not way out of line if it is in good shape and doesn't need tires, chain, brake work etc.

Fro what it is worth and I think you are realizing this time of year if it is good deal it will move quickly. I sold a Honda Shadow yesterday, I posted it on Craigslist at 8AM first call was 8:05 He looked at it at 11:15 and was back with cash by 3:30 and drove it home. It is always nice to have buddy along to help look it over and get a feel for the seller. The buddy should be instructed to not be too enthusiastic about the bike. You then ask to talk it over with the buddy and if you both like it, make a reasonable offer. I find the seller is most receptive if you tell him it is a nice bike and worth what he is asking but you think you will need to buy (tires, chain, whatever) and will pay his asking price minus $$ for the few things it needs.

If I was in the market- that Pittsburgh 2 for 700 would be the deal. I'd have to drive about 5 hours to get there but distance is relative. What are ya, about 3 hours away?

Google maps tells me 5 hours to Pitt. I think gas and tolls to tow the trailer out there will kill the value to me.

Back