Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

Sounds like a nice set up. Do you have any pictures. I can hardly wait for warmer weather to finish doing final tune. I liked the carbs so much I bought another set for motivation to get my other bike back together. I used the bars off of it for my 80. The Switches need replaced will they fit a 7/8 bar.

No pics as of yet. The Honda uses 7/8 bars. I think most anything not a big cruiser uses 7/8 bars.
I think you can get a Honda style throttle, one that uses Honda push/pull cables. Then use most any Honda cables that might be the right length.
I think most Japanese bikes use a similar push/pull set up. One cable hooks pretty much solid to the carbs and the other does the adjusting.
On my Harley you have to adjust both cables, one has a spring. You need to get them just right.
The EX500 cable set up is easier.
Leo

Hi kbtoy.I have two 79 xs. On the second one I am using the ex500 carbs and the stock ex 500 throttle housing. I am getting custom throttle cables made. Question how do I determine the proper lenght of the cables? I know the way I am going to run it.Do I measure from the throttle housing to the cable stop on top of the carb?

When I did it I had a set of stock ex500 cables, attached them to the throttle and choke controls then measured how much was lacking to reach where they should attach to the carbs. Once I had this measurement I gave MotionPro a call and told them what I needed. They don't list the choke cable on their website but they can make them. They show both the push and pull throttle cables so all you have to dso is tell them the part# and the extra length needed.

If you need a set of stock cables to measure with let me know and I can ship them to you for the cost of shipping.

... and do i have to do nail head neddle update,or cani just use the jjj neddle with a clip and spacer thanks

Hi kbtoy, you will have to either remove the collar off the original EX500 Keihin carb needles to use on the new PWK needles and clips or, more simply, buy two Keihin collars to use instead. Either way you should end up with a collar resting on top of the clip on the PWK needle. See my message #156 (extract below)

"Afterwards, by accident, while 'surfing' I came across a CVK34 that is fitted to a 1997-2007 Kawasaki KLX300 (and other KLX and KLR variants) which has an adjustable N1-TC needle with seperate clip and collar. The collars, OEM#92143-1667, appear to be the same as those I've had machined up so I'd suggest ordering a pair at the same time you order your PWK needles."

Started mine up today. After sitting a couple of months it fired right up no problem. After it warmed up some released the enrichner and it idled perfectly. I love these carbs.

I am tempted by the EX500 carbs - plenty on ebay at good prices. (And turned off by the threads on Mikes PWKs) Most of this great thread seems to refer to later model XSs with BS34s - I need carbs to replace the BS38s on a 75-B. Will the EX500s go on easily? Will I need a specific manifold to adjust to the size? Pardon my ignorance and thanks for the help.

This thread is very informative, thanks to all.

I have my eye on a set of EX500 carbs on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-Kawasaki-Ninja-500R-EX500-Carburetors-Carbs-225-/151186077921 - for this 75-B rebuild. This seems like the best bet after seeing all the grief those PWKs have caused (though they look so purty on MikesXS).

We already have a PAM kit and capacitor - planning to go starter and battery free. Today we started putting the top end back together, and the old BS38s are shot.

I know I will have to pick up carb holders (maybe for example, https://www.mikesxs.net/product/20-6038.html ?), filters and rebuild kits, and then figure out jetting etc (I ride a mile high). And decide on throttle and cable setup.

I have already purchased a custom tank with 3/8 NPT Male Fuel Valves from TCBros.

appreciate your opinions . . .

If you have to get new carb holders you may see if JBM Industries has the BS34 holders available. They are much better than anything from Mikes and you do not need the barbs for syncing since the CVK's have barbs on them.

The JBM is my choice also. You don't need the metal collar these carbs are light. Ippytattoo Where did you get cap screws need to replace JIS. what size.

If you are talking about the float bowl screws I got them from jets-r-us when I bought some jets but I am sure you could probably get the correct screws at your local hardware store if they have a good selection of metric hardware.

Thanks for the tip - lots of carb stuff at JBM. So these Angled BS34SV carb holders will go on my 75 Xs and hold the EX500 Kawasaki carbs? Nice, but kind of steep at $74! And what do they mean by 'angled'? The EX500s are mounted on a bracket.

Yes the BS34 holders from JBM will fit perfectly to your '75 head and hold the CVK's. I couldn't tell you what they mean by angled except the early early ones were different. Even though the price seems a little steep at first the quality and durability make it worthwhile.

How is throttle response? I have a solid set of bs38 on my 78 standard (10k on motor, never rebuilt, pods, Mac 2-1) with 140 mains. I've decided I really dislike the throttle delay of the cv carb. I'm used to snappy triumphs with amals. How do these cvk compare?

I realized new Bonnevilles (pre FI) run cvk carbs and riding my brothers 2008 with airbox mods it is not noticeable at all. Crack and go without hesitation. One of the characteristics I love. These aren't pumpers either, are they? How the heck does that work?!!

That said I've got my cvks enroute as well as jets and needles from jetsrus. GJH with 38/138 and 40/140. Carbs off a running 1992 donor Kawi. I you see a solid pair of bs38 for sale shortly you'll know why...

Back