Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

That is correct. mrriggs has a link to the pwk 28 needle chart. Several different needles seem to work. The jjj seams to work on my bike really well some others might work better he has tried other needles successfully. Glad you are trying them.

I click on the Sudco links and I get a Sorry that link is broken.
I found the needles and from the links you posted the jets are under the Carb parts, Keihin carb parts, PB.
Thanks for the help. I'll order up some jets and needles. Mains of 135, 138 and 140. pilots of 35 and 38. Needles of JJJ, JJH and HKJ. That should give me some tuning options.
On the cables I have low bars with just stock risers. If they don't reach I have a set of superbike bars I don't like but can use. They are lower and narrower.
If I have to I can order longer.
Leo

Last edited:
Got the stuff ordered. I ordered some extra clips and a pack of shims as well.
Leo

Last edited:
Sorry only saw this now, XSLeo I would have recommended 38/40 for pilots. I've got the ever-so-slight off-idle stumble that I think comes from a borderline too lean pilot. I think I've got about 3 turns on the mix screws as well and that's just so it doesn't pop at deceleration. Plus stock pilot jets are 35 I think.

56Nomad, the choke cable is a cheap-o generic like such. I got it to give me time to look for a proper setup but it works ok. The barrel end is screw on and too big, just chuck it in a... chuck and turn it down. Also depending on your setup you may not have enough friction on the thing, meaning the choke won't stay on. Amazingly it does for me just enough, but otherwise just remove the spring on the plate and it should be ok. The plungers themselves have springs.

Cable: I just put a clamp on the XS cable and it's been fine, although I want to take the time and get a proper push-pull custom set.

Just picked up a set of 2008 cvk's barn fresh so to speak with only 5000k on the motor.

Can't believe how clean the bowls inside are. Shame to say, cleaner than the VM's I have on the bike now.

Now the fun begins.

Some filter options, depending how long you can go. Judging by the conversations on smooth air, perhaps the longer the better.

Attachments

• DSC00090.jpg
    DSC00090.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 280
  • CVK UNI Filters.jpg
    CVK UNI Filters.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Just picked up a set of 2008 cvk's barn fresh so to speak, $70.00, with only 5000k on the motor.

Can't believe how clean the bowls inside are. Shame to say, cleaner than the VM's I have on the bike now.

Now the fun begins.

Great price nice and clean. The passages inside are clean too unlike many of the old carbs. The fun really begins your first ride with them on the bike. :thumbsup:

I got the carbs today. The Jet R Us stuff came in and I realized I forgot to order the pilot jets. Oh well I'll just try again.
These carbs look real nice inside. A bit scruffy on the out side. I think someone's been inside before. Some of the screws on the float bowls and carb tops look like they used vise grips to get them out after buggering up most of the screw heads.
They are a lot lighter than the BS38 carbs. Ill have to dig up my fish scales and weigh them.
The new throttle and cables are on the way.
I installed the 138 mains and the JJJ needles. It had 130 mains. I removed the Nail heads and drilled them out to use as spacers on top of the needles so the slide spring holds them down in the slides.
When I get the pilots I'll start with the 38's.
On the mix screws, they are set to about 1 3/4 turns out. I figure with the right pilots it should be close to that.
Leo

Leo I am running 40 pilots, 140 mains and I don't remember right off the top of my head which needles but my pilot screw is at 1.5 turns out. That was after finding the best idle plus 1/4 turn out.

I think if the original specs used 1 3/4 then even after jetting it should still be close. If you have to back them out much more then bump the jets up one more.
I'll learn more when I get them on the bike.
Leo

Leo, I just switched to 40 pilots , I think they work better, 2.25 turns out and good to go.

If you want I'll send you the 38s I have for you to tinker, just give me your snail mail address. They work ok, not optimal but you'll be able to get a feel for how awesome these carbs are.

BTW I figured out my off idle stumble, float level too high...

My settings are: 138 mains, JJJ needle 3.5 slot (3 + 1 shim), 40 pilots mix screws 2.25 turns out. Pretty flawless that way and pulls great throughout. Oh, UNI pods and stock '78 exhaust with that.

Maurice, Thanks for the offer. I ordered the pilots yesterday.
The throttle and cables came in today. The cables are about 10-12 inches shorter than the stock cables.
I hooked the cables into the throttle, A bit of a PITA, and hooked them to the carbs, that end was easy.
I have an 82 left side housing. It has a broken turn switch but it has the enrichener lever on it. I hooked the xs650 cable to the carbs. You have to give it a turn around the attachment point, but it will work.
At the hardware store they have brass barrels that use a set screw to attach them to a cable. If they have one the right size I can cut the end off this cable and put the brass barrel on in the right place so I don't have to wrap the cable around anything.
The carbs came with the enrichener cable on them. I like the way it has an adjuster in the middle of the cable. Kinda like the Harley has the clutch cable adjuster in the middle of the cable.
Leo

I had an interesting time getting mine apart and thought this might help others.

In my post above you will notice the carb on the right, actually left carb when mounted on the bike, the top of the bowl bolt is rusty. Well 3 of the 4 on that side were all the same and 2 on the other carb as well. The 2 on the left carb not so bad and I got them out fairly easy.

The head on that front one was already buggered from someone trying to remove it.

Knowing that to remove these the normal way would probably have stripped the thin material of the carb body I did this;

Cut the heads off by drilling or with a dremel cut off wheel, I used both.

Gently pull off the bowl from the newly created studs, what's left when the head is removed. Don't want to bend or break any bowl flanges.

Grip what's left with vise grips and turn clockwise as far as you can.

Then cut the rusty section from the end of the bolt.

Turn counter clockwise and remove.

Result, no damage to the carb threads.

Wish I was so lucky. Worked for 2 bolts but that one on the front, had to drill out the newly created stud and by luck got it really close to center. Keep stepping up the drill sizes and with some more dremel work with a fine bit got the remainder out.

JUST SHIT HOUSE LUCK.

BUT BOY AM I HAPPY.:bike:

Notice how clean the bowl is. Can't believe the condition of these.
-

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 226
Sounds like the cables are working out. How do you like the flat slide design ? I think it is the reason the carbs work so well. At the slide 1/2 open position the flat portion might increase velocity of air flow mini D port. I know they sound like they are pulling more air. I'm really glad your getting close. I'm working on another set the 40 pilot Ippy and Maurice suggested I might try in these with the JJJ or another not sure yet. I'm set up same as Maurice and now you are another 750CC. and a good selection of jets and needles it is watch and learn. Like mrriggs said all of the needles have worked. Interested in what works best in your bike.

I had an interesting time getting mine apart and thought this might help others.

In my post above you will notice the carb on the right, actually left carb when mounted on the bike, the top of the bowl bolt is rusty. Well 3 of the 4 on that side were all the same and 2 on the other carb as well. The 2 on the left carb not so bad and I got them out fairly easy.

The head on that front one was already buggered from someone trying to remove it.

Knowing that to remove these the normal way would probably have stripped the thin material of the carb body I did this;

Cut the heads off by drilling or with a dremel cut off wheel, I used both.

Gently pull off the bowl from the newly created studs, what's left when the head is removed. Don't want to bend or break any bowl flanges.

Grip what's left with vise grips and turn clockwise as far as you can.

Then cut the rusty section from the end of the bolt.

Turn counter clockwise and remove.

Result, no damage to the carb threads.

Wish I was so lucky. Worked for 2 bolts but that one on the front, had to drill out the newly created stud and by luck got it really close to center. Keep stepping up the drill sizes and with some more dremel work with a fine bit got the remainder out.

JUST SHIT HOUSE LUCK.

BUT BOY AM I HAPPY.:bike:

Notice how clean the bowl is. Can't believe the condition of these.
-

Those are nice carbs glad you got the screws out. Sort of mine blowing nice better than new clean carbs after the old ones. All but 2 screws in mine came out of mine. I ordered some JIS bits next set of carbs. I used a small pair of vice grips on the heads no breakage. :thumbsup:

E-bay score! $38.00 shipped for a pair of EX500 carbs. Now to gather the internals and get some BS34 boots, but I looked last week and JBM was out of stock on them. Guess we'll see where that goes.

E-bay score! $38.00 shipped for a pair of EX500 carbs. Now to gather the internals and get some BS34 boots, but I looked last week and JBM was out of stock on them. Guess we'll see where that goes.

That is a great deal Ace. Pays to shop around. Got tired of fence sitting. Sorry to hear about the out of stock JBM boots. Let us know us know you findings once you get them set up. :thumbsup:

It'll be a good while. Trying to head back to Texas at the end of the week and have a pile of stuff to do to my Road Star before I lay into the XS too hard. Thinking about getting these carbs tuned before I pull the motor to do the cam chain stuff. I'll see how the chips fall. In the meantime, I'm eyeballing the shit out of this thread, front to back.

I was watching that set but missed the ending or we may have had a bit of a bidding war! :doh::thumbsup:

Fyi, my max bid was 38 bucks, for a total of 50.00 shipped. I have a clymer manual for the EX 500, so if there's anything in there we are not mentioning here, I'll share.

Back