no blinking with LED's and theres a load equalizer installed

Fissure

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if someone has solved this problem before..
I recently added 4 led blinkers to my 79 special, wiring is pretty stock minus the starter, ign solenoid , safety relay, and kill switch. first thing i learned is the flashers all come on at once.. so i rectified that by pulling the indicator bulb in the center cluster. now they just stay solid, so i bought a load equalizer and installed that. Still no blink, tried the flasher relay from a working bike and still no blink. both relays work in the other bike so its not that. I suspect a different voltage relay or maybe just stick an 1157 in there somewhere to add draw? pretty stumped here. Am I just overlooking something real obvious, like rectify the circuit with diodes and put the indicator bulb back?

I recently added 4 led blinkers to my 79 special, wiring is pretty stock minus the starter, ign solenoid , safety relay, and kill switch. first thing i learned is the flashers all come on at once.. so i rectified that by pulling the indicator bulb in the center cluster. now they just stay solid, so i bought a load equalizer and installed that. Still no blink, tried the flasher relay from a working bike and still no blink. both relays work in the other bike so its not that. I suspect a different voltage relay or maybe just stick an 1157 in there somewhere to add draw? pretty stumped here. Am I just overlooking something real obvious, like rectify the circuit with diodes and put the indicator bulb back?

In the upper left corner............Google Custom Search...........type in something similar to
"LED no blinking"

Yes its been solved thousands of times.

You need to find a "No-Load Flasher Relay" They are all over the internet and most auto part stores, LED's draw next to no current so do not allow the stock flashers to act properly. Depending on your wiring you may need this too, https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805/ , to prevent backfeeding the other side of the cct.

Thank you very much girard!! after digging into my wires a bit I found a lotta faults, the wiring has been patched and repaired all over, just by moving wires I lost my tail lights and then got blinkers, then all indicators turned on.. Ill get a no load flasher for sure and I think I'll re wire the whole system to be sure. I thought it was intact but it is far from it. Which is why after trying all the stuff I found online they still didnt work... hopefully this will straighten it out.

Back