no compression, engine not turning over when kickstarted

timtonik

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well, I started this project by rebuilding the carbs. They were so badly seized with old gas gunk that I had to boil them to get the slides loose... the kick start cover was off when I get it and the spring was displaced deductive logic and common sense got this back into its proper sitting position.
Now the kickstarter is engaging but absolutely nothing is happening when I kick it over... pulled the plug on the right side and no air is pushing out when I kick. Given the shape that the carbs were in and the way new oil snelled of terpintine when I drained it to fix the kick starter. Im guessing really old gas has fouled and seized more than just the carbs...
Just wondering where I should go next.. points? Cylinder heads? What's the next logical step? Bike is a 79 with 3600 miles so you know it has been sitting ssince the 90s at least...
Just wondering what you guys would do before deciding to pull the engine?

She sounds rough but first the kickstart works through the clutch so it sounds like your clutch is slipping. Is the LH cover off yet? If not remove it you will need to anyways.

Up in the tech link look through the it's new to me thread about common neglected XS650 issues.

Personally? I would not be in a rush to pull the motor. There's a lot that can be done to confirm what you have before yanking it.
ttwp.gif

First you said the cover on the kick side was off. Are you sure you have the kicker in gaged correct?
With the cover off and you put the kicker on is the clutch basket turning?
If bike sat for a long time put it in first gear and rock it back and forth. See if the gear engages and see if its easy or hard to push in gear. You may from sitting have the clutch stuck but you can check that with cover off pull clutch lever in you should see plates open and close as you pull clutch lever in and out. Did this motor run before?
Do this first to see if motor is turning.

Hi tim and welcome.
what Gary & Daddy said.
Once you are sure the clutch is working properly and that it's the engine that's stuck, pull both plugs and pour a slug of penetrating oil into each plug hole and let it sit for a day.
Put the bike into high gear and try pushing it back and forth three or four times a day until the motor turns over.
Rather than using expensive penetrating oil, try an equal parts mix of acetone & ATF.

I think we kinda danced around the clutch deal. The clutch has to be engaged for the kick starter to work. Do not pull on the clutch lever when kicking, but be sure that the trans is in neutral.

Well I started out by adjusting the floats and freeing up the float needle on the lh carb because it was flooding the engine, then I kicked it for an hour... i checked and cleaned the points up with some thicker paper, now that I had spark, I really started kicking... for another hour. I actually got her started 2or3times for about a minute or so but it died at anything below 2grand. Tomorrow im going to check compression and look into adjusting the ignition points. I also need to replace the spark plugs with some new ngk's. Carbs probably need some adjustments but that's gonna be a touch n go kinda deal.

Super excited to get her running before the snow starts falling
Any idea what specifically might make a carb quit under 3grand? Might have over shot the distance on my floats... fuel supply too low?

Oh, btw you were right.. I totally misunderstood engaging the clutch... thought I was supposed to hold the clutch.. haha guess old habits die hard haha.

Super excited to get her running before the snow starts falling
Any idea what specifically might make a carb quit under 3grand? Might have over shot the distance on my floats... fuel supply too low?

Hi tim,
and when will the snow fly where you are?
Here in Saskatoon we are riding on borrowed time right now.
Unless you have just cleaned your carbs the usual suspects on poor or no slow running is crud in the slow running & idling systems. And even if you did clean them, do it again, you missed some.

The hard starting probably means you missed cleaning out the choke jet too. When it's plugged, the choke doesn't work and cold starts are a bitch, like you found out, lol. When everything's right with your carbs (and all the other tune-up settings as well of course), these are very easy starting bikes, like one or two kick starters.

Pulled, cleaned and refuckulated my carbs, got her started, blew the main fuse, replaced it swapped batteries with a spare and still no electrical. .. could this be coils? It ran for 3 seconds before frying out..

Back