no compression when kickstarting

anthonyskezas

1983 yamaha 650 xs.custom
Reaction score
ok so i rebuilt my bike and not my motor.i have a 83 650xs, i put my motor on the ground for about 2 months. After i finished adding springer front end and powdercoating i installed the same motor back on.i rebuilt the wiring harness from the diagram below but its pretty iffy.i hate wiring.i have the bike in neutral but no compression with the kickstart anymore. i have been using a wire from my starter to positive side of battery to turn over. still wont turn over and still not getting any spark to my coil.i dont know how to test the coil exactly. i read threads but still lost.if you can help me out that would be great...:yikes: 650wiringchoppervh0.jpg

Attachments

• P6080023.jpg
    P6080023.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 265
  • P6080024.jpg
    P6080024.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 275
  • P6080025.jpg
    P6080025.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 241
  • P6080022.jpg
    P6080022.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Forget that wiring stuff. If you dont have any compression then there is some mechanical problem. Did the engine work before you rebuilt the rest of the bike? How are you checking the compression in each cylinder?

If it is just turning over freely when you kick it, then maybe your cam is not timed correctly with your crank. Did you recently mess with the cam chain? If it is off by a couple teeth you might see what I think you are describing. The valves would be open during the compression stroke so you dont have any compression.

Now if it has good compression, whether it be by kicking or electric start, but still wont start, then we can start in with the electrical troubleshooting.

the engine ran before i took it off the frame with the kickstart.cam chain?chain going to raer drum . if so yes i took off when i took bike apart.and i really cant find a thread for the testing of compression.do i need a special tool?

Sound like the kickstarter is just not engaging. If You had compression when You removed the motor, You still have compression. Clutch/cable problem ?. The wiring is a different deal. Lose those crimp connection, solder and heat shrink, or You will end up walking. Soldering is simple, You can learn in 5 minutes.The crimp connections wILL fail

The cam chain is the chain in your engine that links the cam and the crank, not your drive chain that goes from your engine to the back wheel.

How are you testing the compression on each cylinder?

i also added a comment on the first pic in my photo album.exactly how i wired the tci.if you can take a look i would appreciate it.thanks

The kick start uses gears in the tranny and the clutch to turn the engine. If the clutch is adjusted wrong or you pull the lever the kickstart won't turn the engine.
being an 83 the TCI box has two black/white wires, one hooks to the pickups the other went to the side stand switch. If you have the side stand switch wire hooked to anything it keeps the TCI box turned off. So no spark.
You need to check the wires. Some TCI boxes may have a white/black wire and a black/white wire. Can't tell in your pics what colors all the wires coming out of your TCI box are.
Leo

Red wire off TCI looks like it is going to coil BUT doesn't have 12 volts attacted to it. NOT ONLY DOES IT GO TO THE COIL BUT IT HAS TO HAVE 12 VOLTS FROM BATTERY
A LOT OF PEOPLE MAKE THIS MISTAKE
PUT BIKE IN GEAR AND TAKE OUT PLUGS ROCK IT AND SEE IF YOU GOT COMPRESSION
IF IT MOVES EASY CLUTCH IS STUCK TOGETHER
DID YOU PULL CLUTCH COVER OFF

ok did i wire the ignition box or tci correctly? not keeping the crimps they were just to make sure i got it running first.

solid black>to ground on toggle
black with white>black on pickup
white with red>orange on pickup
white with green>gray on pickup
red with white>spliced from brown on rectifier,black to togggle ground and red to positive on coil
orange>black to negative on coil
P6080027.jpg

Last edited:
so i need to take the black and white wire to pickup off to create spark. and the clutch cover is the left side with the stator rotor assembly correct..if so yes i did.ok so i took spark plugs out and put in gear and it did nothing the drive chain spins but its easy to push.and i had to rig the clutch cable at handlebar to be able to pull it and engage clutch. i will add pics.and im going to buy that compression tester today, so i will post about that this evening.

P6090042.jpg

P6090043.jpg

Last edited:
The pic of your TCI box wires is better. It shows just 6 wires. This TCI box Doesn't have the exra wire for the sidestand relay.
On your list you have the black to ground on the toggle, The black goes straight to ground. You list the pickup wired right. The red/white to brown etc, don't make sence to me. It's best to keep any wires you add in to match colors.
Your TCI, pickup, coil and power and ground should hook up like this.
Your TCI Your pick up Your coil
White/red---------Orange
White/green-------Grey
Black/white--------Black
Orange---------------------------Orange
Red/white------------------------Red/white------battery power after key switch
Black------ground
The battery supplies power to the coil and TCI on the red/white wires.
The TCI box needs battery power to power the TCI.
The power goes to the coil on the red/white, out from the coil on the orange to the TCI.
The TCI uses signals from the pick ups to tell the crank position and the engine rpms.
When the TCI gets an rpm signal from the pickups it turns the transister on to power the coil. When the TCI gets the crank position from the pickups it turns the transister off, this causes the coil to spark.
The TCI also uses the rpm signal to know when to advance the spark.
I like this diagram, if you look at the box marked Electronic ignition you see that power comes in at the kill switch and goes to the coil and TCI. Hook the TCI, pickups and coil like that.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 891
The cover on the left is the alternator cover. It covers the alternator, and front sprocket. It holds the clutch actuator and cable.
The right side is the clutch cover. Behind it there is the clutch, kick start, part of the electric start, and shifter. The cover holds the oil pump, oil filter and the tach drive.
On your clutch cable at the lever, it should be ok, might last awhile. As long as you can adjust the freeplay to 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
On the left cover there is the clutch adjster. Under the round chrome cover.
It needs just a bit of free play there too. No freeplay lets the clutch slip. clutch slips and the kick start won't turn the engine.
Your repair manual explains the adjustments.
Leo

In the pic of the clutch lever, it looks like the cable barrel is not seated? Would that not keep the clutch dis-engaged, thus keeping the kicker from turning over the motor? Or do I need another cuppa coffee?

Is it possible that something was disturbed when reinstalling the stater cover. I'd remove and make sure everything is kosher there

Hey guys. I don't want to steal this thread, but may I ask: anyone have a source for (18 ga. ?) wire that can be had in all the appropriate colors? I can't seem to find brown-colored wire specifically in my area--West Palm Beach, FL. I am looking to re-wire my '81 xs in the near future...

well guys i appreciate everything..it ended up being my alternator cover was to tight which then had to much pressure on the clutch adjust.and the wiring is good to go now.thanks leo

Back