No compression

Fossi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finnished assembling the engine after a tear down and I wanted to check if I had i spark on the sparkpluggs. Turns out I dont. And there is no compression either. The kick goes down with no change in resistance. Wut the fuk have I done this time?
Only changes I've made is replacing the cam chain guide and removing the starter.

Ok. Seems like I have compression after all. My problem is that when try to turn the engine with the kick the engine does not move. I removed the starter, but noting else.

Your kickstart relies on the clutch to turn the engine over. if there is an issue with the way the clutch or kickstart assembly has been re-assembled it will just spin round. Also a poorly adjusted clutch cable will give the same result - so start there as its a bit easier

I left the clutch as it was since it was working good. I didn't diassemble the kick either, just took the right cover off. The kick turns the engine if I turn it around on the nut under the left hand cover. Just once and then it feels like its only turning some bits and pices around

Above, you say the "kick turns the engine if I turn it around on the nut"
Is that the kick or the nut on the end of the cracnk shaft thats doing the turning? I assume only the nut?
Ok, so, when you had the right hand cover off, did any of the kickstart mechanism eak its was out a touch.
Also, is the clutch pushrod seated correctly (including the ball bearings) and the clutch adjusted properly with freeplay ont he cable at the lever?

Paulrxs650 I owe you one. Big time. I decided to go with your advise on the clucth and turned out the wire was jammed with the clutch halfway in. Thats why it only turned over a time or two before it went back to just spinning around. Good thing I didn't take the engine out from the frame again. I was so sure I had messed up big time when I put it back together. Fænks!

Back