No spark, again!

Wakman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Bike was running fine then stopped dead in the middle of the road. As if I hit the kill switch. Coil gave bad readings (might have been my test technique) and I put in a Green Monster to no avail. Got a spare TCI and that didn't do it. Pick up coils tested ok. There is power to the kill switch. Sidestand switch no longer exists.
Getting funny readings from the 6 way plug to the TCI. The red and orange wires show voltage when grounded to the engine or battery but not to the 2 black ground wires in the plug. The black wires show voltage when grounded to the neg terminal of the battery. That seems not right.

My apologies for repeating a common theme, but every situation seems to be different, mostly because very bike has been "modified" by PO's to make them all individuals.

So the red and orange wires have voltage when connected to ground but the black wires also show voltage when connected to ground.
That tells me that your black wires are obviously getting power from something further down the circuit.
The thing I dont understand is, technically if your seeing 12v down the circuit on the black wires, and you connect the orange and red wires, you should still see 12v. Unless the circuit now has no ground, then theres no flow.
I dont know the stock system that well but that's throwing me off.

The wiring harness is a mess, some stock (not the fuse panel) and many "band aids" including 3-4 by me in the 8 months I've had it.
The ground thing is really throwing me. I can see the wire running from the 6 way plug to the battery. I don't see how it would show current on the meter but it does. Defies logic, unless there is a break inside the wire but I've never seen stranded copper do that. Solid copper house wire, or big battery cables but not 16 ga.

Back