No spark, TCI shot? Something else??

If you use a test light and you have 12 volts to coil and the test light lights up you are getting voltage there but that doesn't mean that you are getting voltage threw the TCI
The red /white wire feeds the TCI and the coil. Back check and see if there is voltage to the TCI. I have had ones that looked good and had voltage BUT WERE BAD.
If all your wires are good and you got voltage were you tested. You may need another TCI box they do burn up or just switch to a PAMCO and all that old stuff is not used.
Sounds to me both of you guys got bad parts. I make up a small harness and test everything with that first on all my builds so i know the charging system and ignition are working find first. When you got everything hooked up you can go nuts because it could just be a ground problem. This is all you need in picture to check what i said and as you can see the black /white wire this was a 1983 wiring harness.

Attachments

• chop wire.JPG
    chop wire.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 89
  • XS-EI.JPG
    XS-EI.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 107
I'm getting Power to the orange side of the ignition coil so I assume the power is running from the tci. Right? Or is it just coming from the red side of the ignition coil.

I bought the tci from you 2 weeks ago lol. You said it came from a running bike. There should be voltage leaving the tci box correct? Im getting power feeding it, but nothing coming out.

I'm getting Power to the orange side of the ignition coil so I assume the power is running from the tci. Right? Or is it just coming from the red side of the ignition coil.
No the TCI provides an on and off ground to the orange just like an old timey set of points. I think you have the two black and white wires reversed......... I hesitate to say this because I cannot see them and hate to blow things up by suggesting changes from a distance. But on my 83 TCI the mostly white wire is the side stand wire and the mostly black wire should be hooked to the black wire on the pick up coil.

You may just be reading the RED /WHITE voltage
Have you tried another TCI?
I had one that drove me nutz and i have spare parts to check
So i replace the TCI first NO SPARK
So i replaced the coils NO SPARK
So i replaced Pickup complete another Rotor/Stator NO SPARK
I replace all that i thought it was to be bad
NO WIRE I USED FOR GROUND for TCI and ALT WAS BROKEN INSIDE
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR GROUNDS
When you are using test light you are using battery ground
Could just be a bad ground that simple but its very hard to check these if you don't have spares or like i said go to PAMCO much easier You are dealing with 25 yr old parts

Holy crap I think I have a cut ground wire out of the main harness. Ill check it when I get home from work and report back with pics. If not im going PAMCO.

FastColt
If you think the TCI is bad and you bought it from me send it back and i will check it out and if i do not have another 7 pin i will refund your money. The 1983 bike that i have here was a running bike when it came in to be chopped. So it did work 5 weeks ago.
I think you can even use a 6 pin because the 7 pin wire is only for side stand.
Let me know i am here to help. I got 6 pin ones in stock
You are going to have voltage to the coils when you pull the TCI because both are connected to the same RED/WHITE wire in the harness.
When you strip down a stock harness you will see all your RED/WHITES are tied together your BROWNS are tied together and also your BLACK GROUNDS are tied together

I check red white wire for voltage going in Trigger makes voltage going out threw TCI when bike is cranking. Like i said if you got a problem you can send me everything and i will put it on a motor here and test it all. Its hard to tell you what to look for if i am not in front of it.
Pull Alt with pick up TCI and Coils put in box and send them to me and i will check it all out for you NO CHARGE since you bought TCI from ME.

I originally had the wrong wire going to my pickup coil because that's what the diagram said to do. I hope I didn't fry my tci! I still do not have the charging system hooked up. I'm just running the pick up, ignition coil, battery and tci. When I get a chance I'm going to take everything apart and rewire. I'm gonna double and triple check my connections and I'll let you guys no how that works out. Thanks for the help. Even though my bikes not running I'm learning a ton on how everything ties together.

By what it looks like on there harness
You got red which is HOT
Black that is ground
Brown for ignition switch for charging
So its just like the stock
You have 12 volts on both the reds and good ground on the black???

Attachments

• 88084harness.jpg
    88084harness.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 75
  • chop wire.JPG
    chop wire.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 56
These 2 wiresare the ones in question. they were both cut and both come out of the main harness from the stator. Not sure what they are for. I wired my bike to the T on the TC Bros diagram. My Ignition switch works, my 20amp fuse is mint, my battery is brand new and im getting the correct voltage to the coil. Im gonna smash the coil and tci with a hammer and buy a pamco in about 2.3 seconds lol
2011-04-10_14-21-50_268.jpg

2011-04-10_14-32-51_48.jpg

OK you should have three white wires one one side of the plug together
Then you should have a green and looks like red
Then a blue
BLUE IS FOR N SWITCH
3 whites are for charging
remaining two are you brushes
The other plug with the three wires are your pickup to TCI
DO YOU HAVE A SECOND PLUG????????
If you still can't figure it out email me at RGRANT51@aol.com and i will talk to you on phone.
By the picture which is hard to tell but if that is going to the stator WRONG PLUG
Plug with three white wires will go to plug with three white wires

The yellow gets capped off. I cant really tell what youre trying to convey in the second Picture. It looks like the wires for the pickup coil.

picture two is the neutral switch wire clipped off. pic 1 is the yellow for the headlight relay. That yellow never was on the connector, it had a separate bullet connector.

OK lets try this check it out
Gary look at the plugs the kit has two plugs the same different wires
3 whites for charging and other plug for coil and tci . It looks to me that they are switched
Colors don't match up

Attachments

• 100_0798.jpg
    100_0798.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_0799.jpg
    100_0799.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_0801.jpg
    100_0801.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 108
OMFG!!!!!!!!! IM SOOOOOO STUPID!!!!! I didnt realize those two plugs were the same! I switched them, kicked the bike over on the 3rd kick! HAHA Im in such a good ass mood now! Thanks for the help and im sorry for my blind ass vision lol.

Back