No spark when i kick!!!

whitetrashfabrication

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Okay so heres the problem, i turn the motor over with the start button i get great spark, when i kick the motor i get nothing!! Anyone have any ideas??? (oh and the gears are engaging when i kick the motor, so i know thats not the issue):wtf:

It sparks when you use the starter, then it won't when you kick it. I don't think it is the safety relay. It sounds more like you don't have it wired right. The ignition and the starter have no connections other than power gets sent to the ignition and starter relay from the kill switch.
I can't think of any way you can wire up the stock parts any way to do this.
If you have a car type ingition switch with off/on/start positions and you have the ignition hooked to the starter terminal on the switch so it only gets power in the start position.
I think we need more info. What key switch? Homemade wiring? Year of bike? Electrical parts?

Ya, I just realized that didn't sound correct. Guess if it kicked, but didn't start with the electric...maybe it would be the relay?

My first thought is a weak signal from the pickup coil. This can be caused by a weak trigger magnet, faulty trigger coil, or bad diodes in the TCI box. PamcoPete just walked a guy through how to add a new trigger magnet to the rotor. You might try this first since it's cheap and doesn't require taking anything apart.

I think his problem is the way it's wired. He gets spark while cranking the engine with the electric starter but no spark while kicking it. He has something in the wiring wrong, just can't think of anything right off.
All stock 81.
White trash does the wiring look like it has been fooled with by a PM, thats Previous Moron. If there are any spots wrapped in black tape, wires hanging loose unwrapped. Worn or chafed wires or wrapping?

The signal of a magnetic pickup gets stronger with rpm. I assume the electric start spins the motor faster than the kicker, so if the signal is marginal, it may be just strong enough while electric starting and just below the threshold when kicking.

Also, the magnetic field of the rotor interferes with the pickup. While kicking, the field will be much stronger since the battery isn't being drug down by the starter motor.

I guess he could unplug the reg.rec and try it. With the reg/rec unplugged no power to the rotor so no magnetic feild to bother the pickup magnet.

Ive identified that problem as a potential problem to avoid before kicking over my xs1b for the 1st time this thanksgiving.
I should video record the event,

Back