No spark?

Luckydog

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres the scoop. 500 or so miles on a new bobber build with just the basics for wiring.
Hughs PMA, Pamco, E advancer, all new wiring done meticulously. Have about 500 flawless miles on it. Today it sputtered for a few seconds and then died completely. I did manage to re-start it but only to a short sputter and then nothing.
After checking just about everything here is what I have.
New barttery 12.12v
I have 11.7v at the coil (mikes Part #17-6903)
Primary to primary 2.6 Ohms
Primary to center - infinate
Primary to plug terminal - infinate
Plug terminal to center - infinate.
Plug terminal to plug terminal 17000 Ohms

Turned the bike over by starter button - no spark
Removed pin on Pamco turned by hand - no spark
Bad Pamco???::confused:
Any help would be much appreciated.

LuckyDog,

Could be a defective PAMCO, but you got 500 miles with no problem and it tried to start, so possibly a bad connection or loose wire. Check for battery voltage on the red wire to the PAMCO and battery voltage on the green wire that goes on and off as you rotate the rotor with the pin removed as you have done. Also, please review the installation instructions.

Pete here is what I got.
10.80v at Pamco red wire.
2.93v at the Pamco green wire.

Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of the standard PAMCO. The E-Advancer provides 3 Volts to the green wire going to the sensor which should change between 3 and zero volts as you rotate the rotor. The green wire on the coil side of the E-Advancer goes from zero to battery voltage as you rotate the rotor. Could you test for those two conditions?

Pete after a bit more research on this forum this is what I (dont) have.
While rotating by hand and testing the green wire at the pamco - it is not alternating current from magnet to magnet. It's 2.3 volts to zero volts then back to 2.3 and so on.
Anybody?

Lucky,

The test at the green wire on the sensor was correct. It goes from 3 to zero volts with every other magnet. The steady battery voltage on the green wire on the coil side would indicate either a defective E-Advancer or just a loose connection of the green wire to the coil terminal. Check for the loose green wire terminal not making contact with the coil. If that is OK then PM your address for a replacement under warranty.

Back