No spark

U are absolutely right brother .do u have the time to explain how . Pls use short mechanical terms. Lol

The connector to the TCI box.... Look for 700ohms between the black/white and white/red. Then look for the same between the black/white and white/green wires.

I will let u know brother . Thank u so much. Worst case sinario , is the trigger available to purchase separately ??

Never check resistance with power on.

Going out to shop now . Will u be available in 5- 10 mins ?? Man ... I will sing at ur wedding if I can figure this out and sleep good tonight .

This is an 82/83 manual...........better diagrams than the knuckelbuster manual............main difference between the 80 and the 82/83 is the later models had side-stand and clutch cut off relays.......this wont affect you due to your rewiring.....

A diagram of your wiring would help.

Attachments

• XS650SJ Service Manual.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 231
Those are good. Check all 3 wires to ground and make sure they're open.
Check for 12V at the red/white wire and a good ground on the black (0 ohms).

hey its Weds already !:eek:

something screwy with the date and time ....

TGood from your description of a spark when turning ignition on and off it sounds like your pickup is ok but perhaps your Igniter is being grounded by a short somewhere.
Had you done any work to the bike prior to it not starting ? maybe disturbed or pulled any wiring somewhere .
Its difficult to figure out ignition or any electrical issues on a bike that has been modified or the wiring is DIY. Without a diagram we can't spot potential problems .

I would carefully check your ignition switch and kill switch if there is one and the associated wiring. Also check all the wires between the Pickup and the Igniter unit and coils ...look for chafing or rubbing of the wiring and shorts .

Oh and if you have cranked the engine without the spark plugs being grounded at any time then your TCI could now be fubar
Only other thing I can think of is that your pickup isn't being triggered by the magnet on your rotor and therefore isn't switching the TCI

Last edited:
but perhaps your Igniter is being grounded by a short somewhere.
That sounds about right Peanut. If the wire from the coil to the TCI box were grounded, turning the key on would charge the primary... turning it off would cause it to discharge... = spark. I tried my TCI system (that works) and I get no spark when I turn the key off.

Now I know where I'm overlooking .I thank you brothers .So very sorry to aggravate u guys . Was definitely not my intention .

Assholes !!! Lmao !!! U guys help me build my first bike , and helping me keep it running. Much respect for all ur patience .

hey no sweat TGOOD :) we are all here to help one another . Nobody is balling you out but it does help to keep a specific topic in the same thread otherwise we have to search around for all your threads about the same subject.
let us know how you get on ok ;)

Went through all your threads............A lot of them haven't been finished one wasn't even answered after the 1st post question was asked and a multitude of questions/answers given relating to the content of the question.........

After reading through the threads, i found you have been given so many answers by a lot of different members to the problem your still having........I think you need to go back through all the threads relating to your spark issue and rearrange the answers and explanations as to why, (in some instances), and you might start to get a picture of the problem.............

If threads aren't finished or the OP doesn't respond to answers given then the people who do usually answer and are very knowledgeable don't bother because they feel they are wasting their free advice and time if the OP is not engaging or makes repeated threads about the same problem.........This is just a fact, not coming down on you.............

The warning about keeping the spark plug earthed on a TCI ignition bike,when doing spark testing that it will cause the TCI to burn out is valid but it has to go through the Coil fist and if this shorts then the TCI gets damaged..........Go back to the thread where you ask about burning out your coils.......that was Sep 2017...........In that thread it seems as though you have been using Mikes Ultimate coil the same as the factory one for a TCI and then change it to the Green Monster Coil...............Going back even further to March 2017 the pic of the bike has a Green monster coil on it............

Now if you have been burning out coils since March last year and they have been the Green Monster type then go back and read through your threads and get the answer that was posted about leaving the key on and the effects it has.............especially if a Green monster coil is used.........

Also in your first thread the sparking at the ignition and the use of a battery tender on the bike to test with power without a battery was addressed..........

Answers your getting now are not answers you would get if the whole picture was painted...........

I say reset go back to the beginning and go through your problems what has been answered in relation to those problems and when starting a thread stay on that thread ..............Do a full continuity test of the loom, on the wire before/between couplings/bullet connectors and then through them and again after cleaning and reconnecting....Check all ground connections and clean and reattach...........

Last edited:
I agree !! Thanks for putting it in black and white . Ive been known to over think here and there. Like I said ... Just figured out how to look over my previous threads .

Back