No Start/No Spark with Pamco

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
I've had my bike running and quite well over the past couple of days with the Pamco and Ultimate coil installed. Yesterday afternoon and today, I started cleaning up my temporary wiring with good connectors, solder, heat shrink, loom, etc. After wrapping most of it up today, I went to fire it back up, and it wouldn't fire. All my other accessories are working fine, I have 12V to the coil, and ~3 Ohms across the primary coil and ~25,300 Ohms across the secondary. I left the battery disconnected while wiring to prevent any shorts. Put a spare plug on one of the plug caps and grounded it to the engine. No spark. I've already sent Pete an email, but I'd appreciate any insight. The only thing I changed in my wiring was to ground to the post which is connected to a tab welded to the frame. Could this be my problem?

Kent

P1000066.jpg

BTW, in this photo:

Larger red wire coming to the top post of the coil is 10A fused and the smaller red goes to the Pamco.

Larger black goes to one side of a kill switch and the smaller black goes to the Pamco.

Blue goes to the other side of the kill switch (shorting that side of the coil to the ground of the post) and the green goes to the Pamco.

Kent

kvanderploeg,

Yes, I got your Email. I think that we discussed the use of that kill switch, and the idea seamed OK at the time, but right now I would suggest that you disconnect the kill switch to be sure that it is not shorting the green wire to ground all the time, not just when you press the button.

Well, you were spot on. I disconnected one end of my kill switch, and it fired right up. Disconnected the other end, and found that I had a closed circuit no matter the switch position. Double checked all my wiring, and found no problems. Opened up the switch housing and found a short between two wires with sloppy solder joints. Cleaned that up and it's working like a charm again. Way to nail it, Pete! Outstanding service and knowledge as always!

Kent

Back