nonadjustable carbs

fossilrider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,need some help please.I am just about done with putting my bike together but,after giving the carbs a thorough cleaning,I find that the new head pipes tell me I have a problem.One is discoloring and the other is not discoloring at all.The pipes came from Mike's and I fully expected them to "blue".Actually the one that has discolored isn't blue,but more golden colored.Anyway,since this bike is a '82,the carbs evidently have no way to adjust the mixture other than rejetting.Or am I overlooking something?thanks for any help.Steve

Posted via Mobile

Drill a hole in the plug covering the mix screws.
It (the plug) is only 1/8 to 3/16" thick so easy does it.
Then use a coarse threaded screw to grip the plug and pull it out.
These are bad pics showing the plug screwed and then the mix screw hiding in the tower.

Attachments

• 09-18-08_2147.jpg
    09-18-08_2147.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 09-18-08_2145.jpg
    09-18-08_2145.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 146
Thanks guys.To be honest,I haven't ridden the bike yet.I've only started it and ridden it fifty yards or so in front of my shop,so not enough to get a feel for how good/bad the performance is yet.I have run it long enough to get it up to about normal operating temp and when it cooled,is when I noticed the difference in the pipes.I am lacing the wheels now and about ready to do the paint work.So,I'm getting close to having it on the road at which time I can see how it actually runs.So,by the pics,there are actually mixture screws in these carbs but they are covered with the plugs? I was under the impression that there weren't any adjustment screws at all ! If they are there,I can find them.Thanks again.Steve

Posted via Mobile

You mean you did all the make pretty work on a bike that didn't run. I can't under stand people that spend thousands of dollars on a bike then find it won't run. You should get it to run right then ,ake it look pretty.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is the carb guide, Readit, print it out, read it. Read it till you see it in your dreams.
Did I mention reading the carb guide, If not read the carb guide.
Leo

Looked back through your posts and this post and probably thread are bit harsh. Looks like you are making good progress on "bringing it back, Good on you. That said it never hurts to go through the carbs.

Leo might not have mentioned this but the carb guide makes a good read...

I am not aware of any street motorcycles with "adjustable" jetting. Many have some idle mixture adjustments and the needle jets on some models have several clip settings but jetting is a change and read type of thing. You never actually used the main jets if you just moved the bike 50 yards. Have you been through the carbs yet? No sense even thinking about jetting until you have thoroughly cleaned and adjusted the carbs. Set floats change float valve o-rings, clean and blow all passages. Hey you can find out how to do all that fun stuff................. in the carb guide. Then come talk to us about how it runs, what jets are in it and what might be a place to start with changes if needed.

XS650 with BS34's (the stock carb on an 82 which may or may not be what's on the bike now.) tend to run very well.

Oh, gggGary, you missed out on the panhead craze, with the adjustable Linkert carburator. Little 1/16" shaft with bent end emerged from Linkert carb body, inside end was threaded and pointed. Could reach down while riding and dial mixture as needed, lean for hiway, rich for blasting, really rich for 6' long backfire/flames. Miss that. Crap, getting ideas now, gotta go...

More help!!! Thanks guys.I didn't know about the carb guide.Yes a buddy who is a pro motorcycle mechanic cleaned them out.He is very good at that kind of stuff.I,after looking at the pics posted last night,checked the carbs today and guess what........The plugs are already removed! When I got them back,I just installed them and figured I would adjust as needed once I had it going.When I saw the pipe blueing on one side,I then started looking for the idle mixture screw and didn't see any.........because I was looking on the SIDES of the carbs !!! I'm an old dirt bike guy and accustomed to the m being on the side of the carb.There are a couple of blank holes on the sides of these carbs (in bosses that stick out) and I just assumed (duh) that that is where they would have been.LIVE AND LEARN.Yea,I know,you are supposed to do the mechanical stuff first,and I did at least start it to make sure it ran before I started dismantling and modifying it.Laced the second wheel today and they are looking great (black powder coated rims and hubs with stainless spokes).My tank is ready to paint and I am working on the fenders and side panels.I KNOW.........PICTURES !!!!! The main thing I am trying to decide is what to do about a seat.I have the monster Heritage Special seat and a '80 Special seat but I want a basically flat seat.I'm thinking I could chop up the HS seat and build something from it,or has anybody tried using the hardware off the later special seat on the "standard" seat,OR,making brsckets for using the standard seat and hardware on the HS frame? Just thinking.BTW,I am better at welding/fab work than .....CARBS.Thanks again.Steve

Posted via Mobile

Back