Not sure which pamco to buy.. Need help

Mikes80

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I have been building a 1980 XS650 for the last 2 years. Every time I think I am close to being finished something breaks or goes wrong. I just finished rebuilding my motor and put the motor back in the frame hooked up all my electrical and tried to kick it over but I am not getting any spark.. I have run a few checks and it seems that my tci box might be bad. My question is I want to put a new Pamco ignition in my bike but I am not sure if I need the basic system or the ultimate system.. The only difference between the two seem to be the advance rod that comes with the ultimate.. Can somebody please let me know if the advance rod is something i will need? Or can I just get the basic system. The extra $50 is not going to break the bank I just need to know if I need it or not.. Thanks

The only complete system sold is the Powerdynamo. It'd be IMO the best route for you. Pricing it all up front and is in at the end of it all in the same ball park. Plus, You won't need to get this rod, that needs replacing because it was installed wrong without instructions, reg/rec plug doesn't match that, etc crap.

Purchase it bolt it on, set the timing and go.

Attachments

• powerdynamo.jpg
    powerdynamo.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 344
Thanks for the info Chizler62.. Where did you purchase yours from? Is there somewhere in the US that sells that system ? Or do I need to order it from Europe? Do you have a link?

I think they're ebay'd by someone. I know Cycles-R-us in Ohio is a dealer. Tho, I know my customers are just ordering off their webpage with pricing about $540us plus a 5% discount and shipping. I've only dealt directly with them.

There are two flywheel choices. Check the webpage for which works better for your situation.

In the long run its a solid option.

The only complete system sold is the Powerdynamo. It'd be IMO the best route for you. Pricing it all up front and is in at the end of it all in the same ball park. Plus, You won't need to get this rod, that needs replacing because it was installed wrong without instructions, reg/rec plug doesn't match that, etc crap.

Purchase it bolt it on, set the timing and go.

chizler62,

I'm sure that your many years of experience are an asset to this forum, but I think you would be more believable if you got your facts straight before posting.

There are complete installation instructions for the advance rod and the mechanical advancer posted on the web site www.yamahaxs650.com since 2008.

chizler62,

I'm sure that your many years of experience are an asset to this forum, but I think you would be more believable if you got your facts straight before posting.

There are complete installation instructions for the advance rod and the mechanical advancer posted on the web site www.yamahaxs650.com since 2008.

If you like we can certainly get our facts straight.

Do your products come with instructions in the box?
Do you products come with a note or ? to tell customers where to find these instructions.

Please, I even seen a post the other day where the customer had to even post a wiring schematic, because? why? He didn't get INSTRUCTIONS.

Objectively look through the post on here, let alone other sites, and read how many. I need help with my Pamco threads there are and how it typically traces back to a lack of information.

Don't come at me because of your faults. I was just giving my opinion to an asked question. The PowerDynamo is the best complete system for the XS650.

Do your products come with instructions in the box?
Do you products come with a note or ? to tell customers where to find these instructions.

Please, I even seen a post the other day where the customer had to even post a wiring schematic, because? why? He didn't get INSTRUCTIONS.

Objectively look through the post on here, let alone other sites, and read how many. I need help with my Pamco threads there are and how it typically traces back to a lack of information.

Don't come at me because of your faults. I was just giving my opinion to an asked question. The PowerDynamo is the best complete system for the XS650.

We post the installation instructions on our web site www.yamahaxs650.com so the customer will get the latest updates. A note is placed in the box when ordered from MikesXS to that effect. An Email is sent to customers who order from us directly, telling them that their order has been shipped and a link is provided in the Email to the on line instructions.

The reason that you see some posts here asking for help for PAMCO's is because we conduct an open forum for our customer problems so that others may learn from the dialogue with the customer. Most issues with the PAMCO are posted here or on other sites, so we have nothing to hide.

By comparison, I would suggest that you ask other, competitive manufacturers to give you their private customer Emails and then post them here so we can all see whatever issues they are experiencing. Or better yet, ask these competitors to conduct their customer service communications right here like PAMCO does so we can all see the issues that their customers are having.

But, perhaps I have missed something? Can you name a single manufacturer other than PAMCO that conducts their customer relations right here on this forum?

I was just giving my opinion to an asked question. The PowerDynamo is the best complete system for the XS650.

That was not the question that was asked in this thread. The title of this thread is:

"Not sure which pamco to buy.. Need help"

Last edited:
No, I cannot honestly say I know of one manufacturer who'd be ridiculous enough to suggest customers use a forum for tech support!

I just bought a Ram and with in 1000 miles its developed an oil leak. Imagine if I was directed to "RamLovers.com" for help.

and yes,, the OP's question as I interpreted it as "looking to install a new ignition system and I don't understand my options"
So I offered as I said IMO the best available option for his situation.

and yes,, the OP's question as I interpreted it as "looking to install a new ignition system and I don't understand my options"

Then I suggest you take a reading comprehension over again. OP is asking for clarification between two Pamco products offered. He didn't say anything about someone suggesting a alternative product to the Pamco or leave it open for interpretation. He said "I want to put a new Pamco ignition in my bike". If this is not clear enough I don't know what is.

StFu

I just bought a Ram and with in 1000 miles its developed an oil leak. Imagine if I was directed to "RamLovers.com" for help.

Well, in fact, there is a Ram forum. http://www.ramforumz.com/?gclid=CPaEx5ux9MQCFWPl7AodGm8AxA

The site does have a section titled "Ask a Dodge Ram tech".

You should post your problem there and perhaps other members have a similar issue or you can ask the "Dodge Ram Tech". I tried the search term oil leaks and came up with about a hundred hits. You might learn something from these other owners experiences before you go to the dealer.

Then I suggest you take a reading comprehension over again. OP is asking for clarification between two Pamco products offered. He didn't say anything about someone suggesting a alternative product to the Pamco or leave it open for interpretation. He said "I want to put a new Pamco ignition in my bike". If this is not clear enough I don't know what is.

StFu

and I answered that question. Politely saying....there are better options for your situation. I believe I wrote something like "IMO the PD is a better route for you"

If someone asked what side of a bridge to jump off, left or right? How would you reply?

@PamcoPete SMH

and I answered that question. Politely saying....there are better options for your situation. I believe I wrote something like "IMO the PD is a better route for you"

If someone asked what side of a bridge to jump off, left or right? How would you reply?

@PamcoPete SMH

Forgive me if I won't be wasting anymore time engaging you in frivolous dialog. After reading some of your other interactions with Hooser I find your stance on forum egos to be hypocritical and not worth the time.

Regards,

StFu

So I have been building a 1980 XS650 for the last 2 years. Every time I think I am close to being finished something breaks or goes wrong. I just finished rebuilding my motor and put the motor back in the frame hooked up all my electrical and tried to kick it over but I am not getting any spark.. I have run a few checks and it seems that my tci box might be bad. My question is I want to put a new Pamco ignition in my bike but I am not sure if I need the basic system or the ultimate system.. The only difference between the two seem to be the advance rod that comes with the ultimate.. Can somebody please let me know if the advance rod is something i will need? Or can I just get the basic system. The extra $50 is not going to break the bank I just need to know if I need it or not.. Thanks

Not even close. Op asked about the pamco and he stated "I want to put a new pamco system in my bike"

No one has the aftermarket warranty that Pamcopete has. he has helped and supplied, or should say resupplied units when the unit itself hasn't failed, it is the units installing them incorrectly or not following the correct procedure.

Mikes80,

You may be getting ahead of yourself................Have you done any diagnostics of the charging system. If you want to change the ignition system the charging system doesn't have to be changed............There is a common misconception it is not a good system, when in fact, correct maintenance and a good battery the charging system will last as long as any other type.

Back