nothinh comes out crank vent. do I need to worry?

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
So, nothing comes out. I used to have a tube running down between carbs years ago when I used to run this engine. Nothing seemed to come out of it then either though. Can I just leave it without a tube?
thx

Or at least a long tube so if anything does come out, it won't make a mess all over the tops of your carbs. I laugh when I see guys use a short hose and filter right over the carbs. My buddy did that and I told him it would belch oil all over his carbs. When that finally happened, I guess my advice sunk in and he changed it.

Nothing is supposed to come out. It's a vent and it's well above where the oil sits in the top end. If oil is coming out at any substantial rate there is an issue with your oil pump, piston rings, or oil level. I run the stock tubes on mine and they lay on top of the filters.

Agreed. I would be more worried if one day it doesn't stop coming out! I had a blocked overflow tube on my right carb which along with a poor seating float needle led to gas getting in the crankcase...I only got a few blocks from home before the bike just started belching gas/oil out of the breather tube..that was a good one.

Alright I contributed, now someone answer my questions!

As the engine runs, oil gets thrown about by the crank, cam chain, rocker arms, valves. This thrown oil creates a fog like mist.
The baffle in the breather stops most of the mist going out of the engine. Some gets out anyway. The tube lets this drain out to the ground and not on the bike.
Some early years had the hose run into a hole on the left engine cover so this oil could drain out on the chain.
Leo

Back