Nutrition health and Weight loss

Wow! Just read about Angus Barbieri's fast - 392 days without solid food. That's hardcore!

I'm still sticking to my 5, 5, 38 hour routine.

I dislike broccoli. I recognize it’s possible health benefits, but take no pleasure from eating it.
Until I tried this:

I believe the above qualifies as vegan.

Last edited:
I dislike broccoli. I recognize it’s possible health benefits, but take no pleasure from eating it.
Until I tried this:

I believe the above qualifies as vegan.
That looks delicious. And it's not too dissimilar from the kind of cooking I do - simple ingredients cooked with respect.

I actually went past the 48 hour mark to a little over 50 because I was driving, it was no big deal I think I will do it every week. One interesting (or weird) fact; I still had a regular poop this morning, isn’t a meal supposed to go through you in 8 hours? Maybe I was just eating too much.

Half way through my 2nd weekly 48h fast and it’s feeling so normal that I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t do this for the rest of my life. The absence of inflammation is a bonus but; I can’t figure out why I have so much excess energy with no calories going in. Maybe the whole foods diet that I’m adopting has something to do with it.
One thing I have to work at is not snacking in the 6 hour window that I give myself for eating every day (when I’m not fasting), I’d like to try and have just 2 meals.

Half way through my 2nd weekly 48h fast and it’s feeling so normal that I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t do this for the rest of my life. The absence of inflammation is a bonus but; I can’t figure out why I have so much excess energy with no calories going in. Maybe the whole foods diet that I’m adopting has something to do with it.
One thing I have to work at is not snacking in the 6 hour window that I give myself for eating every day (when I’m not fasting), I’d like to try and have just 2 meals.
If you’re carrying any fat, you use that for energy.
Last week I went to CrossFit having not eaten anything in over 24 hours. My performance seemed to be perfectly consistent with my normal performance.

I can’t figure out why I have so much excess energy with no calories going in. Maybe the whole foods diet that I’m adopting has something to do with it.
That is exactly what the author predicted in the book about fasting. Wish I could find that book. But she says that when you have eaten, your body goes into a satiated mode and works at digestion and storing fat. You feel sluggish - post-prandial torpor.

However, after few hours of fasting, your body undergoes a hormonal change into a more active mode - less energy is used for digestion, more is used to release fat stores. The nervous system and muscles also receive more energy. You feel sharper and have more energy. This is adaptive for life in the wild as lived by our ancestors. But in modern life, most of us never experience that mode switch - I think because we culturally avoid 'going hungry' for any extended period, people lose out on that experience.

My analogy is a coal-fired cruiser, say 1914 era. In harbour, all hands are set to work shovelling coal, and when the coalbunkers are full, the black stuff is piled on decks, in passageways, all available areas. The ship is dirty, heavy and sluggish - satiated mode. But later, at sea, the crew are all at action stations, the coal that's in-the-way has now been fed into the ravenous furnaces, the ship is powering through the waves at her best speed, ready for action. That's me on my fast days. Well . . . sort of.

coaling2.jpg

Last edited:
That is exactly what the author predicted in the book about fasting. Wish I could find that book. But she says that when you have eaten, your body goes into a satiated mode and works at digestion and storing fat. You feel sluggish - post-prandial torpor.

However, after few hours of fasting, your body undergoes a hormonal change into a more active mode - less energy is used for digestion, more is used to release fat stores. The nervous system and muscles also receive more energy. You feel sharper and have more energy. This is adaptive for life in the wild as lived by our ancestors. But in modern life, most of us never experience that mode switch - I think because we culturally avoid 'going hungry' for any extended period, people lose out on that experience.

My analogy is a coal-fired cruiser, say 1914 era. In harbour, all hands are set to work shovelling coal, and when the coalbunkers are full, the black stuff is piled on decks, in passageways, all available areas. The ship is dirty, heavy and sluggish - satiated mode. But later, at sea, the crew are all at action stations, the coal that's in-the-way has now been fed into the ravenous furnaces, the ship is powering through the waves at her best speed, ready for action. That's me on my fast days. Well . . . sort of.
It took me a second to understand your analogy the instinctual physiology of our ancestors made more sense. It definitely feels naturally better; to the point that I am looking forward to next weeks 48h fast.

Found that book - 'Eat, Fast, Slim' by Amanda Hamilton, published Duncan Baird, 2013. As well as presenting her 'life changing fasting diet for amazing weight loss and optimum health', Hamilton gives the reader a quick tour of the physiology of diet and the balance of hormonal signals. Quite interesting and points towards some of the more esoteric benefits of fasting such as reducing risk of Type II diabetes and some forms of cancer.

I’m really getting the hang of this although I eat a lot of sugar, non of it processed though; honey in my chamomile tea before bed and my first meal of the day (at noon) is all fruit, yogurt and nuts. I’m also doing good with the zero snacks until my 2nd (and last) meal of the day at 5 which is all vegetables with avocado and nuts, I’m actually looking forward to my Sunday noon until Tuesday noon fast. I honestly can’t believe how easy this is and how much better I’m feeling. One thing that may be helping is that I use a lot of hot spices and herbs, even on my fruit. I really have to thank you guys for the inspiration.

Valentines Day. Potluck last night. I went off the rails. I’m not insulin resistant, but have other issues with sugar. I succumbed to the cookies last night, and desert served with dinner. Potatoes as well. All stuff I avoid. I’ll get back on my horse tomorrow, but I’ll feel it when I go to the gym tomorrow. This stuff sometimes happens. The less often, the better.

Well, I just stumbled onto this thread, and I'm working at losing weight. Last June I was 272 lbs and 6' and well into type 2 diabetes. 9.0 A1C. That was my wake up call. I got down to 262 by the end of October, by consciously cutting back portions, but it was seat-of-the-pants willy-nilly. I had another blood work scheduled in November and I wanted to get my weight down and hopefully my A1C. I weighed in at 256 on 11/17.
Weight management is simple math; if input > output, you gain, and vice-versa, as measured by calories. So I started counting them all, in and out. Suffice it to say, I like to eat, and I have a sweet tooth besides. My portions were double and triple what they should have been, with generous sweets in between.
I'm using the web site "Lose It!" dot com to track my intake and activities. To get down to 225 lbs by May, it calculated a caloric intake of 2100 calories/day. So I use a kitchen scale and I math the shit out of everything I eat. I love peanut butter, but it is ridiculously dense in calories. I still have a PBJ from time to time, but it uses up too much of my "budget" to be worth it anymore. Since 10/23/23, I went from 262, to 240 this morning. I still have a way to go, but that's how I'm doing it, obviously YMMV. I live literally 1180 ft from my front porch to the time clock at the school where I drive bus for bike money. I was driving it, but now I walk, and often walk the long way home, heading west when I live SE of the bus garage, eventually meandering home. (I don't need the money, but my wife and I have gone on some pretty nice vacations with the extra, along with me being able to have collected 7 XS 650s and several huge boxes of parts and engines. 2 are running and one more will be ready in early summer.)
This has worked for me and continues to work, but I have read the fasting posts and I think I may try that, just to jump start a weight loss when I seem to be stuck at a weight, like at 244 lbs and now at 240.
My A1C was 7.0 in November and 6.4 the last check in on Jan 17, and I was at 246 lbs. I'm getting there. Doc was impressed I got it down so far relatively quickly.

Back