Nutrition health and Weight loss

I have been doing the intermittent fasting as well as dry January, I have lost 10lbs but it has been very slow going and I am still overweight. I haven’t been too strict about what I eat I just try and get it all done in a 6-8 hour window. But… I am about to go full bore this weekend and stop eating from noon Sunday until noon Tuesday, then try and repeat this every week for the near future! I’m not sure that I can be this regimental but I am going to try, my family doctor has given me the go ahead and added “nothing bad can happen”

Well, @Charles13 I expect you've read the recent posts on the previous page? But in the hope of giving some encouragement, my finding is that 'hunger' is largely a matter of habit. The first time you fast that long, you will feel hungry, especially Monday. It's a matter of distracting yourself, especially at mealtimes. Maybe, have a warm drink? Then, when you go to bed, try to interpret the way you feel as 'empty' and learn to appreciate it. Our senses highlight contrasts, light & dark, warm & cold, now you will have full & empty. After a couple of fasts, I don't actually feel hungry on non-eat days.

The 48-hour fast is very achievable and you shouldn't have any real problems, but of course you would probably achieve the same weight loss if you did two one-day fasts instead? But it must be whatever suits you best.

Final points, make sure you eat properly during the eating days. Your enjoyment of food might well be heightened after a fast so eat slowly and enjoy it. Make sure you eat fresh, nutritious food and include plenty fibre or your digestion will get stuck over the fasting period.

Final, final thought, remember to keep drinking - water, juice, coffee, tea, just don't get dehydrated.

Last edited:
I’m carnivore, but not strict. I last ate over 24 hours ago. That was two large bowls of stew, with vegetables, but no potatoes. My goal is another 6 to 8 hours giving me a 30+ hour fast. I am drinking coffee with a little cream in it. Later, I’ll eat meat with kimchi. I’ll eat until comfortably stuffed, then limit myself to one meal on Sunday.

My weight remains +/- 5lbs since I had the covid about four years ago. This works for me. YMMV, stick with what is working for you.

Best wishes for a healthy tomorrow!

Well, @Charles13 I expect you've read the recent posts on the previous page? But in the hope of giving some encouragement, my finding is that 'hunger' is largely a matter of habit. The first time you fast that long, you will feel hungry, especially Monday. It's a matter of distracting yourself, especially at mealtimes. Maybe, have a warm drink? Then, when you go to bed, try to interpret the way you feel as 'empty' and learn to appreciate it. Our senses highlight contrasts, light & dark, warm & cold, now you will have full & empty. After a couple of fasts, I don't actually feel hungry on non-eat days.

The 48-hour fast is very achievable and you shouldn't have any real problems, but of course you would probably achieve the same weight loss if you did two one-day fasts instead? But it must be whatever suits you best.

Final points, make sure you eat properly during the eating days. Your enjoyment of food might well be heightened after a fast so eat slowly and enjoy it. Make sure you eat fresh, nutritious food and include plenty fibre or your digestion will get stuck over the fasting period.

Final, final thought, remember to keep drinking - water, juice, coffee, tea, just don't get dehydrated.

Thanks for the support and advice, while I need to get my weight back down to a more healthy number that is inline with my height. I am 66 years old and while I haven’t had even a common cold in the last decade, I feel the years. I am really hoping to clean out the toxins lurking deep in the fat cells, I’m hoping that this will help me feel a little better overall. I’ve always eaten a healthy diet and I don’t drink pop or eat candy, I just feel like I really need to get on top of this if I want to enjoy the few years of active lifestyle that I have left.

Thanks for the support and advice, while I need to get my weight back down to a more healthy number that is inline with my height. I am 66 years old and while I haven’t had even a common cold in the last decade, I feel the years. I am really hoping to clean out the toxins lurking deep in the fat cells, I’m hoping that this will help me feel a little better overall. I’ve always eaten a healthy diet and I don’t drink pop or eat candy, I just feel like I really need to get on top of this if I want to enjoy the few years of active lifestyle that I have left.

Best to you. I discovered that while one is ruled by the belly, it is also true that the mind chooses what to eat. I found that by choosing vegetables (zero sugar or alcohol) and some dairy I was able to rule my belly, and I lost about 100 pounds, much of this so fast that people thought I was sick. I was about your age at the time. Good luck amigo.

Myself, oldest son and daughter in law eat a plant based diet. Initially I lost 40 lbs and for almost ten years have kept most of it off with some fluctuation. Every new year we do what we call The Reboot. Basically, we eat no added sugar, salt or oil, no processed foods, and no alcohol during that 10 days. We drink a gallon of water a day. I usually lose 7-8 pounds every reboot, purging a lot of toxins and poundage from holiday eats and drinks. Always leaves me feeling good.
Chronometer is a good free app to track what you eat, how much you exercise and the caloric and nutritional content of your diet.

Myself, oldest son and daughter in law eat a plant based diet. Initially I lost 40 lbs and for almost ten years have kept most of it off with some fluctuation. Every new year we do what we call The Reboot. Basically, we eat no added sugar, salt or oil, no processed foods, and no alcohol during that 10 days. We drink a gallon of water a day. I usually lose 7-8 pounds every reboot, purging a lot of toxins and poundage from holiday eats and drinks. Always leaves me feeling good.
Chronometer is a good free app to track what you eat, how much you exercise and the caloric and nutritional content of your diet.
Finally, someone else advocating a plant based diet.
Diets are like politics or religion, everyone has their own truth, and are resistant to opposing ideas.
I read with alarm those proposing high fat/protein, low-carb diets, which are very popular right now -- Adkins, Paleo, Keto, South Beach, etc, etc. Maybe they help some people lose weight, but after that, they are not sustainable. By not sustainable, I mean that they do not provide the vitamins and minerals needed to promote health. You could argue "I'll just take a daily multi-vitamin" with my low-carb diet. Does that sound natural? Is that what Mother Nature intended?
A plant-based diet provides all of the vitamins and nutrients that you need, no need for supplements of any kind.
A second dig at high-fat, high-protein diets, especially animal fat and and animal protein -- is that they promote cancer. This has been clinically shown for decades by countless studies. But, the powerful meat lobbys and the food industrial complex suppress this knowledge.

I am currently at my heaviest. 230 on the bathroom scale, probably more on a proper scale. At six feet I tell myself I can almost carry it off, but I'm just kidding myself. I have tried the keto diet but nothing seemed to change. Eating nothing but meat gets a bit old, but I have to try again. You guys inspire me! The lightest I can remember being in adulthood was 190lbs back in 1987 when I rode the wheels off my bike for a full summer. I am ridden with guilt for not joining a gym but I just can't hack the boredom of it. It's just not me. I cut out bread for awhile about a year ago and I did get down to about 218lbs, so maybe it was working. I have zero patience unfortunately.

I have driven sugar out of my life as much as I can, no soda, no cakes or cookies, no chips (crisps), no chocolates, Stevia in my coffee, using butter and avocado oil instead of seed oils. I skip lunch during the week.

8 pints of beer a week is probably the culprit, and a job that has me sitting almost all day.

I put one bunch of bananas and a loaf of bread a week back onto my diet. Not helpful I'm sure.

Despite my weight, my blood pressure is very good. Aesthetically, not so good. If I were a bike i'd be a Madura.

Beer and winter is a bad combo!

I am currently at my heaviest. 230 on the bathroom scale, probably more on a proper scale. At six feet I tell myself I can almost carry it off, but I'm just kidding myself. I have tried the keto diet but nothing seemed to change. Eating nothing but meat gets a bit old, but I have to try again. You guys inspire me! The lightest I can remember being in adulthood was 190lbs back in 1987 when I rode the wheels off my bike for a full summer. I am ridden with guilt for not joining a gym but I just can't hack the boredom of it. It's just not me. I cut out bread for awhile about a year ago and I did get down to about 218lbs, so maybe it was working. I have zero patience unfortunately.

I have driven sugar out of my life as much as I can, no soda, no cakes or cookies, no chips (crisps), no chocolates, Stevia in my coffee, using butter and avocado oil instead of seed oils. I skip lunch during the week.

8 pints of beer a week is probably the culprit, and a job that has me sitting almost all day.

I put one bunch of bananas and a loaf of bread a week back onto my diet. Not helpful I'm sure.

Despite my weight, my blood pressure is very good. Aesthetically, not so good. If I were a bike i'd be a Madura.

About 15-20 yrs ago I took a teaching job and my weight started climbing. I'm 5' 8". My whole adult life I've been 160-170lbs. Within a year of taking that job I ballooned to well over 200lbs. My belly would arrive 'bout 5 min before I did.
Simple fix. I cut my helping sizes roughly in half. Didn't change anything else. No special diet... still ate the same stuff, just less of it. Within about 6-8 months I was back to 160-170.
It's a simple formula actually... calories in vs calories out. It really is just that simple. Special diets may help or hinder that effort, but bottom line is to exercise more and/or eat less.
The hunger pangs will disappear after a week or so and you get used to it.... you adapt.

Last edited:
About 10-15 yrs ago I took a teaching job and my weight started climbing. I'm 5' 8". My whole adult life I've been 160-170lbs. Within a year of taking that job I ballooned to well over 200lbs. My belly would arrive 'bout 5 min before I did.
Simple fix. I cut my helping sizes roughly in half. Didn't change anything else. No special diet... still ate the same stuff, just less of it. Within about 6-8 months I was back to 160-170.
It's a simple formula actually... calories in vs calories out. It really is just that simple. Special diets may help or hinder that effort, but bottom line is to exercise more and/or eat less.
The hunger pangs will disappear after a week or so and you get used to it.... you adapt.
I genuinely wish I had your self-control. The fasting regime requires a different approach to managing yourself.

I genuinely wish I had your self-control.
Trust me... the first week or so was maddening. I felt like I was starving from sunup to bedtime. After about a week, my body (mind?) adapted and the hunger went away. Smooth sailing after that.

Diets are like politics or religion, everyone has their own truth, and are resistant to opposing ideas.
I found this hilarious, and I hope you do too.

As for me, my diet is not my politics or religion. I'm simply doing what works for me. I've tried lots of things in the past that didn't work out for me. I understand my results aren't universal, but I'll share where my opinion is welcome. You do you, I do me. It's not my religion. I don't argue. We stay friends.
I finished a 32 hour fast yesterday and it gave me a very productive day and left me feeling great. I'll do it again soon.

Yeah. Sugar is evil. I avoid it whenever and wherever possible. Sometimes I cave when something sweet is put in front of me. I'm an addict. In my case, I'm not insulin resistant, so my body deals with it. That piece of pie will give me heartburn is all.

I didn't think I could ever give up beer. But, I did! Now, I can keep it in the refrigerator in case you come to visit. I'm not interested. It will keep you from reaching your goals. As for me, no grain, no bread. Some of that now has the ability to make me sick. YMMV

Be well!

Last edited:
I found this hilarious, and I hope you do too.

As for me, my diet is not my politics or religion. I'm simply doing what works for me. I've tried lots of things in the past that didn't work out for me. I understand my results aren't universal, but I'll share where my opinion is welcome. You do you, I do me. It's not my religion. I don't argue. We stay friends.
I finished a 32 hour fast yesterday and it gave me a very productive day and left me feeling great. I'll do it again soon.
Very funny and though I don't eat meat or support factory farming we shall indeed remain friends.
A 32 hour fast is impressive in my book.

I am going to try the plant based diet also, I’ve always been intrigued by the 7th day Adventist’s communities and their lack of heart disease and cancers. I’ve always eaten very little red meat after one of my best friends intestines blew up; his dad was a butcher who used to give us huge steaks, after a lot of surgery to put his intestines back together he never ate meat again.

Well I’m on the last few hours of the fast and it’s really easy, a couple of short hunger pains yesterday afternoon but that’s it. Now I’m onto the next step; plant based diet (thanks to drgonzo for info). I’m going to do the 48 hour fast every week and I’m even thinking of a whole week fast at the beginning of every season.

I'm OMAD since Friday. I'm trying to continue that today. I'm not retired and therefore, not completely in charge of my own schedule.

Well I’m on the last few hours of the fast and it’s really easy, a couple of short hunger pains yesterday afternoon but that’s it. Now I’m onto the next step; plant based diet (thanks to drgonzo for info). I’m going to do the 48 hour fast every week and I’m even thinking of a whole week fast at the beginning of every season.
If you should fall off the horse for any reason, just forgive yourself and get right back on. Congratulations on claiming a better life!

Since @Charles13 mentioned a more extended fast, I might as well share an anecdote here. Not relevant to the discussion so no need to read on . . .

Long ago, I was 19 yo, I did a nine-day fast. Not for health reasons, it was kindof a protest. Living in student accommodation in a campus outside the city so the only viable option for eating was the campus cafeteria. They said they catered for special diets but they really didn't do a very job. I was told to announce myself to the staff every day, who would call to the cook, 'It's the vegetarian!' ** The cook never had anything special for me so I would be offered a salad or an omelet. Just those options. 'But I had an omelet yesterday' would mean I was given salad today. And the salads used zero imagination - couple limp lettuce leaves, a tomato, a lump of cheese. Maybe a spoonful of pickle if I was lucky, or a little bit of limp cress garnish.

Breakfast was not much better - self service, but the only suitable food was toast or cereals. Carnivores could take a hot plate with bacon, sausages, hash browns, eggs and have toast or cereals too. Couple times, I tried taking toast and cereals but that, apparently, was against the rules. As I said, they really didn't do a very good job with special diets.

One day, I decided to stop going for meals. I mean, why bother, I really was not enjoying my meals, so that night, I went to bed hungry. The next day, I felt more hungry, but continued the boycott.

However, the third day I didn't feel at all hungry. And it was the same on day 4, day 5, day 6, etc. After more than a week of this, on day 9, I stood up and felt dizzy. Didn't take a lot of imagination to realise it was time to go and have something to eat. So that afternoon, announced myself to the staff. Who called to the cook, 'It's the vegetarian!'

Now I will never know if the cook had noticed my absence, but for some reason he did something that had not happened before. He went and prepared a meal for me. And not an omelet, he used a little imagination, some left-over potatoes, some savoy cabbage and made me vegetarian bubble & squeak. Fried the potatoes and cabbage in butter and seasoned it with salt and black pepper. And he presented me with a great big plateful, piled high.

I carried my trophy meal to the table where me friends was sat and prepared to break my fast in style. You really appreciate your food after nine days without any. So for the first time in a long time, I was looking forward to my meal. Launched into the pile of hot food - and after one or two fork-fulls, began to feel full up. I persevered and managed, ooh, maybe a quarter of what was on the plate. Obviously, after all that time with no action, my stomach had shrunk.

Two hours later, I was ravenous. Appetite had returned! But by now the cafeteria was closed, there was nowhere else to eat on campus, so I had to wait until morning and go for the cafeteria breakfast.

Toast or cereals.

** Actually, there was another person put through the same slightly humiliating 'It's the vegetarian!' ritual. Her name was Pippa, she was absolutely lovely, really nice girl, . . . I still sometimes wonder why I didn't marry her.

Back