Nutrition health and Weight loss

Great job Marty et al...I started a year before you did..so 6 yrs of improved health from the Ketogenic diet..beating type 2 diabetes and bringing my weight down to within the normal range for my height...So to recap..i went from 205# to a final weight of 135#... The numbers were addicting and i prolly went too far.I got too skinny.. So now i am maintaining my weight between 145 to 155..which is my normal weight range...I dont exercise in a gym..too arthritic these days...Still limiting my carbs and no processed foods...I do a partial carnivore diet but there are other things that are plant based that will still not harm your keto diet...its just a matter of what you believe...

Last edited:
Thank you for putting up that vid, Marty. A lot of good points and a truly inspirational old man.

A lot of it is common sense. There is a danger especially, in these silly times, of some people obsessing too much on the latest health fad. Obsessing too much on anything is probably bad for you?
Diet foods and sodas are poison...the only soda i drink is soda water or seltzer water with natural falvorings like Black cherry..There shouldn't be anything in there except soda h2o and natural flavroings...box food is garbage...cooking your own food is the best way to control the garbage

That singer..that FAT singer in the Jardiance commercials..its like she/ and the drug makers are saying..its okay to be FAT....and you DONT HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR PIEHOLE....just take a pill and you can continue with your bad health habits..."look at me ..I'm fat and I dont care"

I didn't know about this thread, it's good that this is being talked about. I am a professional in the area of Nutrition in my country. This month everyone starts with their new year goals.

I didn't know about this thread, it's good that this is being talked about. I am a professional in the area of Nutrition in my country. This month everyone starts with their new year goals.

I have noted that Mexico is catching up with us in metabolic health issues. I think that means the food industry is making inroads.

I have noted that Mexico is catching up with us in metabolic health issues. I think that means the food industry is making inroads.
A rather complicated topic. Many conferences and updates about it. But, as long as the interests of companies and the government are put before the health of the population, little can be done.

Well, I'm two weeks into the regime, today is my seventh total fast day, reckon I've lost about twelve pounds.

I'd call that a good rate of progress. But, inevitably, weight loss will slow. I think that happens because your body adjusts to what would in evolutionary terms be times of famine or shortage?

Must be a personality flaw that it's easier to do without for a day than simply eat less. Friends say, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just have smaller portions? Well, No, I don't find that easier. It's after three in the afternoon and I could go and make a slice of toast. But if I do that, I know it will be close to impossible not to make an evening meal for two in a few hours, sit down with Mrs and tuck in.

So instead, I'll have that slice of toast at breakfast time tomorrow . . .

I’m with you, Raymond. Small portions doesn’t work for me either. I ate one meal yesterday, at 6PM. My wife made us a very large salad. She put plenty of fat in it. Mine had 12 oz beef ribeye in it plus olive oil, Brazil nuts, olives, feta, avocado and whatever I forgot. Plenty of green stuff. Do you call it arugula or rocket? I got up from the table with a very full belly. I’m not hungry now, and I’ll eat next in about eight hours. My meal had very little in the way of carbohydrates. I avoid carbs as much as I’m able. I’ve been maintaining my lower weight for five years now.

I don't feel hungry right now, and it's about 22 hours since I last ate. The main problem is a feeling of 'Now, what is it I oughta be doing?' at mealtimes - it actually helps to cook something for Mrs, the activity answers that need.

But if I have a slice of toast, I will feel hungry. Eating something triggers hunger?

But if I have a slice of toast, I will feel hungry. Eating something triggers hunger?
For me, it’s carbohydrate that triggers hunger. Not so for fat. Since you’re plant based, try sliced avocado or maybe some fatty nuts. Pecans or macadamia nuts are great for turning hunger off.

It has just become public that the Prime Minister, Rishsi Sunak, follows a fasting regime. He fasts each week from 5pm on Sunday till 5am on Tuesday. That's 36 hours.

Public comment attributes this to the Hindu religion Sunak follows. He says that Hindus are not required to fast but the faith emphasises a need for moderation and self-control. 'We are not just our body - we are the person inhabiting the body and it is good for ourselves and our body when we exert self-control - your bodily impulse might be to snack whenever food is available but you need to show control and tell yourself No, you have had plenty to eat!'

And of course, there has also been a flurry of experts commenting on Sunak's 36 hour stints without food. Most agree that fasting carries a range of health benefits. Experts say:

Such abstinence means the body runs through its short-term energy stores. In essence, what you’re doing is shifting the body from using fundamental carbohydrates for fuel towards using fat as a fuel over that 36-hour period.

Extended fasts can lead to “metabolic resilience”, in other words a better ability to cope with the pressures of modern diet and lifestyle - periods of overeating, inactivity or stress.

Intermittent fasting improves the body’s stress tolerance, a benefit further amplified with exercise. And there is evidence intermittent fasting could reduce vulnerability to various conditions like cancer, obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative diseases.

Well, who'd a thunk it? Maybe an intermittent fasting regime is coming to public attention?

Do most of the major religions encourage fasting? Muslims do it. I believe Christians used to. I do believe it is good for us. I try to do it 16 hours each day. I’ve been meaning to try longer fasts. I just haven’t done it.

I think you are right and most major religions encourage fasting, for a variety of reasons.

Christians traditionally fasted during Lent - the forty days leading to Easter. Not complete fast for forty days! I think it took the form of eating less, perhaps time-limited eating as you do? And many people used to inflict some additional form of discomfort, such as putting a heavy chain around their body to carry about for the duration of lent. To share with Christ the burden he had to bear carrying the cross to Calvary. Or the hair shirt - wearing an uncomfortable undergarment to bring about mindfulness and humility.

Another early Christian practice was vegetarianism. Very devout hermits or religious men completely avoided eating flesh. But that was a hard sell with the medieval general public, so instead religious leaders suggested one meat-free day each week. Friday. But, that idea was further eroded and meat-free Friday was re-interpreted as fish-eating Friday. Ingenious, rather legalistic way of getting round an imposed restriction? I believe many Roman Catholics still avoid meat and instead eat fish on Fridays? And it must be the reason why, as a child, I was repeatedly offered fish when I ate at friends' houses - the Mother would insist that vegetarians can eat fish. Witness the young child insisting, 'No, a fish is not a vegetable!'

Muslims are supposed to fast every day from dawn to sunset during the month of Ramadan. Fasting requires complete abstinence from sex, food, drinking, and smoking. However, having worked for a few years in a Muslim environment it was clear that not all Muslims follow the practice. And for those that did, there were interpretations. For example, they would fast from dawn to sunset Mecca time, which meant they could eat freely12 hours per day. Oh, I will never forget the gluttony that followed the expiry of the fasting hours . . .

So, I have rather mixed feelings about religions imposing fasts on adherents.

So, I have rather mixed feelings about religions imposing fasts on adherents.
Absolutely! I was raised in a Catholic culture myself. Fish on Friday was the rule even though we were Protestant. There you go.

As I’ve come to higher understanding, it occurred to me the those religions may have been imposing something good for us in modern times. Before civilizations came along, we only had food when we killed it or it came in season. So, our ancestors fasted as routine.

Well, having fasted on eleven days so far - Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays for nearly four weeks - my weight is continuing to fall. About 16 pounds so far; as predicted the rate of weight loss has also dropped a little bit but not significantly.

Mrs is away visiting her daughter, it's Friday, so have rewarded meself with a nice meal of fried spaghetti and now enjoying a bottle of Sicilian Frappato.

Well, having fasted on eleven days so far - Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays for nearly four weeks - my weight is continuing to fall. About 16 pounds so far; as predicted the rate of weight loss has also dropped a little bit but not significantly.

Mrs is away visiting her daughter, it's Friday, so have rewarded meself with a nice meal of fried spaghetti and now enjoying a bottle of Sicilian Frappato.
I expect that spaghetti will make you hungry. I can’t manage with carbs. More power to you! I do it on fat. It’s not too hard on me.

I expect that spaghetti will make you hungry. I can’t manage with carbs. More power to you! I do it on fat. It’s not too hard on me.
I really enjoyed that spaghetti, cooked then fried with onions, garlic and plenty cheese - strong cheddar and stilton. Filling but didn't make too much. Don't recall that it made me feel hungry. In fact, don't recall much after polishing off a bottle of Frappato.

Maybe an intermittent fasting regime is coming to public attention?
Last year in 2023 over the course of 5 months I lost 45lbs. I've tried a variety of diets mixed with exercise over the years and one some of them I've had success. The best diet/exercise weight loss program that worked in the past was a diet that limited carbs, had strict portion control, and I ran 3 miles a day. It was great because I love to run. However, my knees started giving out and eventually I had to give up the running. Slowly over the Course of a few years the weight piled back on.

Last year in Jan I made a commitment to myself to get the weight back off, but I wanted a program without the need for a lot of exercise.

I found a program that was a combination of strict diet, lots of water, and intermittent fasting. The diet consisted of
  1. 4oz of lean protein but it must be lean
    1. (e.g. Lean Burger, Tuna, Chicken Breast, Shrimp etc.)
  2. 4oz of Vegetables but not all vegetables
    1. (e.g. Green Beans, Carrots, no peas etc.)
  3. 4oz of Fruit but not all fruits
    1. (Apples, Blueberries, Strawberries, no Bananas or Pineapple etc..)
  4. 80oz of non-flavored water per day
Everything except the water had to be consumed within a 6 hour window. After 42 days the plan bumped the protein up to 6oz per day. Other than the actives around the house which does keep me active I did no additional exercise. The plan did allow for 4oz of alcohol per week but it had to be clear, no Bourbon... ok, I cheated a little on that one 🥃

By the end of May I had reached my goal of 185. That started a new plan where now 80% of the time I still ate like I did when I was on the diet although the list of allowable foods had increased where I could have peas, and higher sugar fruits like banana's. 20% of the time I eat whatever I want. I did this over the course of the next couple of months and found that I was still continuing to lose weight. Scared me a little when I dipped into the 170's so I started adjusting the diet a little at a time. I found that rather than the 80/20 rule I was more like a 60/40 which is great! I still eat within a 6 hour window but 40% of the time I eat whatever I want. I've been able to maintain my weight now going on 9 months.
The intermittent fasting along with portion control and some healthier food choices if done diligently does work!

Back