Odd bit in starter motor gear train cover XS2

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, My XS2 has done some 1k miles since being restored and runs well. The electric start has never worked. However I did replace all the bendix bits behind the clutch but the started motor seem to make a harsh rattle.
So I finally found a replacement starter and decided to replace it along with the seal between the starter and engine.

I drained the oil and put the bike on it side to get the starter off

While pulling the old seal off I have found a strange bit of wire poking thru from the gear box........ I can move it about but it wont pull thru

Now ... just to check I have taken a pic. I assume it not supposed to be there. I now bet its causing the starter gears to make a dreadful din when engaged.

Anybody else come across this problem. Dont tell me its a complete engine strip to fix it.... maybe I can do without the elecy start.

The engine does seem to start and run fine.

The pic..

Attachments

• xs2 starter motor.jpg
    xs2 starter motor.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 320
Oil dip stick
Good thought.... just checked and the one thats in the bike is fine. But it could be a new one.

That bit of spring wire is round, about 1.5 mm and flexible. All gears select fine and there has been no problems in the last thousand miles. But who knows whats happened in the past or been dropped thru the oil top-up.

Just concerned that something has come loose in the gear box or a return spring has quit and the bits are lodged in the engine

Well I feel a bit of a prat now...... Yes its the oil dip stick. I finally put a bright light on it and tried to pull it about..... and the loose oil stick moved about.

I had in the past found a m6 nut on the oil drain plug when I changed the oil so I thought there was other bits floating about.

I am feeling a bit stupid but well relieved. Now to fit the new(ish) starter..

Ta
Nairb

Lol we all do silly things sometimes! Having had my engine in bits, when I saw this pic it was the first thing that came to my mind! At least it's not a strip down for you!!

To make the starter seal and starter install easier, not to mention diagnosing the problem, you really should remove the little gear train cover under the shift shaft .....

StarterGears2.jpg

Then you can see the gears that tie the starter to the engine. The small gear on the right above is the one on the end of your starter motor. The large gear set to the left and the stubby shaft it rides on can be pulled right out. Then you're left with this .....

StarterGearsRemoved.jpg

There may be something amiss with that left gear set, like maybe you're missing the spacer (#16) or the wave shim washer (#15). That might cause some grinding.

StarterGears.jpg

Thanks 5twins, Those pics displays the "dip stick" well. I wish I had seen these pics before I started. As stated I had replaced the bendix stuff during the re-commission but there was an loud clacking noise from the starter motor area when I used the starter and it dident even turn the engine over. I really thought there was something jammed in the gear system. Hence thinking there was a broken spring sticking down from the gear box.
Oh dear... red face. But I am used to triple 2 stroke engines and the 4 I have dont have dip sticks.
I would have pulled the gear train cover off if I had managed to get a new gasket. I have fitted the new seal and new starter motor. Filled it with new oil and there is no leak yet. Tomorrow I will reconnect all the electrics and give the starter system a try.

If the fault is still there then its off with the gear train cover and check for missing bits.

Thanks
Nairb

Back