Odd marks on tach drive shaft?

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have the right side case cover off to replace clutch springs and replace the steel spacer at the base of the tach drive shaft. I inspected the driveshaft and noticed an odd finish on the end of the shaft. Looks like fine grooves or serrations in the shaft. Is this normal? I was thinking maybe it’s to aid in oil distribution around the shaft end in a blind hole?

CA4620BB-CF84-4341-BCE6-7AAB147D0492.jpeg
3F75D3F9-651A-4ABB-8F7F-A6D246C54CA9.jpeg

Good observation regarding the grooves lining up with the gear. Maybe they machined the gear first and then spun the bottom of the shaft to the correct OD for the pocket in the cover. Surprised that shaft in that application wouldn’t have a smooth finish since it’s riding in aluminum.

Maybe they machined the gear first and then spun the bottom of the shaft to the correct OD for the pocket in the cover.
They (design) were in charge of the hole and shaft size. That makes me believe the grooves were intentional for oiling. If you think about it, they could have just as easily made the hole smaller and machined the shaft end smaller to remove the tooling marks from making the gear. Makes me think they're intentional.

I've always thought it was just an oopsie on the engineers part, and they figgered it would do no harm and mebby a little good...
Don't forget the spacer/washer. After several tries I finally found a good stainless replacement part with correct ID, OD, thickness.
* don't ask me what size or where found cuz I don't remember. Fark.
I make a point of installing with the sharp spacer edges facing the gear not the case.

I've always thought it was just an oopsie on the engineers part, and they figgered it would do no harm and mebby a little good...
Don't forget the spacer/washer. After several tries I finally found a good stainless replacement part with correct ID, OD, thickness.
* don't ask me what size or where found cuz I don't remember. Fark.
I make a point of installing with the sharp spacer edges facing the gear not the case.
I bought a spacer from Yamaha. Guess I should have measured it. Maybe still can…. Stay tuned.

That washer can easily become an issue if you don’t know it’s there. I’ve usually gotten lucky but shouldn't that washer size be put under the sticky’s in tech?

That washer can easily become an issue if you don’t know it’s there. I’ve usually gotten lucky but shouldn't that washer size be put under the sticky’s in tech?
You've read my mind. (scary space) I'm adding that pic to the great o-rings seals etc. thread.

Back