ODD

Steven Simpson

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Getting done with my bike and just collecting parts. I recently bought a new throttle body (at a swap meet)

Seemed to fit up fine and everything was good but when I started the bike, it was wide open and twisted forward not backward. I understand the easy answer would be "the tube is backwards" but there's no way to flip it.

Am I doing something wrong or did I pick up some random left side throttle?

Insights and opinions needed!!!!
unnamed-21.jpg
unnamed-22.jpg

On some of the very old bikes they used a twist grip on both sides. The right was throttle, the left was timing advance.
I don't think they used 7/8 inch bars though.
Evil Knievel used a reverse throttle on his jumping bikes.
I don't know where or what your twist grip came from or on.
Leo

Hey guys,
Getting done with my bike and just collecting parts. I recently bought a new throttle body (at a swap meet)
Seemed to fit up fine and everything was good but when I started the bike, it was wide open and twisted forward not backward. I understand the easy answer would be "the tube is backwards" but there's no way to flip it.
Am I doing something wrong or did I pick up some random left side throttle?
Insights and opinions needed!!!!View attachment 140532View attachment 140533

Hi Steve,
with no front brake you're only be riding in parades but the missing front brake lever does give you extra 'bar space, eh?
You got 3 options:-
1) Learn to live with a backwards twistgrip.
2) Swap the twistgrip with the clutch lever and learn to live with switched-over controls.
3) Buy a normal twistgrip.
EDIT
OK, 4) Mount the reverse twistgrip on the right-hand 'bar backwards, so the cable is on the outside end.

Last edited:
Theoretically, if you had the cable going around the wrong side of the grip, up instead of down would open the throttle. Or, maybe there's no way to change it and that's why it was at the swap meet ;) Or...is it a left handed throttle?

As a lad I crashed my 305 scrambler, the details are fuzzy now, broken clutch lever? badly sprained wrist? both? But I swapped clutch and brake cables. rode it with clutch and throttle on same hand, while waiting for parts. JRP1 needed to borrow my bike, not sure if he asked first. He's still mad at me about that day. Serves him right for riding gggGary's bike.

Back