Oddball carbs, cannot identify with given materials.

Ironjake86

XS650 Member
Reaction score
God some oddball carbs that were attached to a motor that has the vin for a 78 XS650SE here in Canada.

Solex style needle holders, Plane jane BS38 tops, 120 butterfly, 4M1 right jug needle, Y55 left.. bowls stamped with a "1", has hoses coming off the bottom of the bowls that were attached to... not sure?

No clue. Pictures are attached.

Attachments

• 9carb.JPG
    9carb.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 8carb.jpg
    8carb.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 7carb.jpg
    7carb.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 5car.jpg
    5car.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 3carb.jpg
    3carb.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 2carb.jpg
    2carb.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 1carb.jpg
    1carb.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 119
The needle holders, those big nylon fellas seem to be something that was on 70-73 models. Yet the rest of it says 1976 (The brass overflow with hoses), hell if I know.

Hi Jake and welcome,
I dunno neither but it looks to me that it'll be difficult to get them working good.

Hi, I have a 71 with 38's on it that look very similar to what you have, only that mine are not bracketed together. The needles do not fit into the plastic disc, the needle drops into the carb first and then the plastic disc fits down on top of it, then the spring and then the cap. The hose coming off the bottom of the bowl is I believe the vent, it vents through a small brass stand pipe on the inside of the bowl, the piece of tubing is about a foot long and feeds down the frame behind the gearbox and stops just above the center stand, I imagine they do this so that if any fuel escapes it is dumped to the ground. Be careful with the plastic hose barbs, they break easily when old and the tubing is hard and difficult to get off.

That seems to be it, we have a weiner, couldn't find a diagram that had all the above + the weird fuckin needle assembly, okay, so I'll assume these carbs are shit?

That's actually considered one of the better BS38 sets. Linked and not very E.P.A. strangled. The Y-55 needle is a generic replacement from some aftermarket rebuild kit. The 4M1 is an original needle for that carb set. If the two compare the same (length, taper), then the Y-55 will probably work, but you could always acquire another 4M1 to get a perfect match.

The hoses on the bottoms of the float bowls are overflow outlets, in case the bowls ever overfill. The float chamber vents are the clear hoses on the inner sides of the carbs.

The primary function of the hoses on the float bowls is to vent the float chambers to atmosphere. The hoses breathe through the brass standpipes in the float bowls; be sure they're clear. I've never seen "1" as a bowl stamp, but the bowls show the right vacuum channel pattern for '76-'77 carbies.There's no telling what kind of mix-'n-match might have been tried in the jetting; 5Twins and I gave a full jet list in the XS650 Garage USA Carb Guide, follow the link in the Tech section. And right, lose that Y-22 needle.

Yes, if you did mis-read it and that is a Y-22 needle, it will definitely need to be replaced. It's 5mm shorter than the 4M1. The Y-22 does make sense. That's the usual generic needle included in rebuild kits for these. I've actually never heard of a Y-55 before.

I double checked, it says Y55 on the side of it. I rebuilt a rack of XJ650 carbs (4 Hitachi HSC32) and I swear their needles were Y55s

Back