oil and gass mix leak

last

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok so my bike is leaking a oil gas mix from the left side would a new gasket in the crank case stop the leak and should the oil and gas be mixing if not how do I stop it and repar it:banghead:

Shouldn't be leaking gas from the crankcase that would be a bad thing..... Is it possible that you have a gas leak and it is running down the crankcase to where you have a oil leak mixing the two and then dripping from the bike....

The folks on the forum definitely need more information to even start thinking about your situation. Start with the model of your bike. A 4 cycle engine doesn't have a gas/oil mix. Where's the gas leaking from, where's the oil leaking from? Is it from the alternator side, or clutch side? More information will at least get things started.

Its a 1980 650 xs special I don't know where the gas leak is comeing from the oil leak is on alternator side

I had issues like that when I first got mine.
Old vacuum petcocks can leak gas into the carb, overflowing the bowl ( float not shutting off) and then into the crankcase. Check your oil on the dipstick and see if it smells like gas is mixed in.
I replaced my stock petcock with a simple on-off-reserve and then linked the vacuum barbs together, or you can plug them off.
Carbs were rebuilt and the float level set.

Sorry, I didn't notice you said left side in your original post. The oil leak may be coming from the clutch push rod seal. The '81 I picked up needs a new seal, at least one:

You might want to remove the alternator cover and check it out.

Attachments

• HPIM1431.JPG
    HPIM1431.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 172
  • HPIM1433.JPG
    HPIM1433.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 184
  • HPIM1435.JPG
    HPIM1435.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 162
Ok so my bike is leaking a oil gas mix from the left side would a new gasket in the crank case stop the leak and should the oil and gas be mixing if not how do I stop it and repair it:banghead:

You may want to go to this recent thread on the same subject......

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96594#post96594

If you do confirm that your crankcase oil has raw fuel mixed with it in the crankcase then it is most likely that fuel is coming from a open/leaking petcock and is also leaking past the float needle valve while the bike is not running. Check it out right away to determine if this is the case. If that is the case it's both hazardous and damaging to the engine and the cause (most likely fuel flowing throught the carb vents, throught the intake throat and down into the crankcase. Petcock valve not sealing (vacuum petcocks), petcock left open (if manual) and one or mor carburetor float needle not seating/holding back fuel pressure.

DON'T RUN IT WITH THIS CONDITION....diagnose, repair! There is no gasket in the crankcase that would be involved as the cause of such a problem.

The big nut on the front sprocket often has worked loose, even though it has a locking tab on it. If it's not tight it will leak from a seal behind the sprocket. That's as likely as the push rod seal.

To find the gas leak, look inside the air boxes and see if gas is in there; if the float needles are leaking it probably will be. If the diaphragm in the vacuum petcock is blown, there's a little vent hole on the side, beside the gas hose, that gas will drip out of. You could cram paper towels and around the carbs and petcock to help you find the leak if you need to.

P.S. To determine whether you have gas in your crankcase, stick your nose down in the hole you put the oil in.

Back