Oil check w/ marks up or down

Sazbo

Sazbo
Reaction score
Ok, here is probably a stupid question so forgive me, but if I check my oil level with the dipstick lines facing up I'm low on oil, if I check with line facing down the level is perfect. Which way should you face the lines to get an true level, or am I just being a dipstick. Is a 79 thanks:shrug:

Ok, here is probably a stupid question so forgive me, but if I check my oil level with the dipstick lines facing up I'm low on oil, if I check with line facing down the level is perfect. Which way should you face the lines to get an true level, or am I just being a dipstick. Is a 79 thanks:shrug:

You may be thinking too much. With the dipstick resting on the threads, (not screwed down) oil level should be between the marks. I try to keep mine around the mid point or just above. Relax, go for a ride.:thumbsup:

Yes I know what the level should be, the thing is depending on what position the lines are facing I get a different reading, if the lines are facing 12:00 the level is at the first line if the lines are facing 6:00 it's between both lines, and that's with the stick resting on the threads in both positions. I know I'm being crazy, but it's buggin me

unscrew the rod
pull the rod out
wipe it off
put it back in the hole but don't screw it down
pull it out and raise it to eye level
(the bottom is pointing toward the center of the Earth)
the wet part (the bottom) is below the oil in the engine
the dry part is (the top) is above the oil in the engine
where the wet meets the dry is the oil level.

put it back in the hole and screw it down.

consider running for public office

lines go up, because when you take it out of the hole, you are looking down, unless your trying to read it lying on your back, wich i doubt.

When I check the oil, I pull the dip stick, wipe off, set it back on the threads and turn it a few times in the unthread direction. This gets the same oil level all around the dip stick. I then pull it and read the level.
Leo

When I check the oil, I pull the dip stick, wipe off, set it back on the threads and turn it a few times in the unthread direction. This gets the same oil level all around the dip stick. I then pull it and read the level.
Leo

Your attention to detail disqualifes you from public office.

Personally, I just leave the sump strainer cover a little loose and verify that there is a puddle before I start the bike.

I'm angling for the Chairman of the Federal Reserve slot.

Sorry for asking such a stupid question, I won't be asking any more. Thanks for your help

Ask away, Saz, excuse me for not being able to resist that punchline. I'm a recovering assaholeic.

Everybody has to start their data-base from zero and I do not want to discourage you in any way.

Please accept my apology.

burns

Sazbo has a valid question and it's one I never considered before, as coarse as the dipstick thread is it is definitely possible to get a bad reading. XS Leo has the right idea. I use the sight glass quite a bit, too; when it takes no body input to hold the bike up it's level, eyeball the sight glass then.

Back