Oil / Gear Oil ????

mrmach5

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
About to get started on some Resto on my newly acquired 74 TX650A. Just got a Clymer manual and have been reading and reading to familiarize myself with the mechanics of the 650. First off very disappointed in the manual,,,,, not very good. Under the maintanence schedule it lists Oil change,, and also gear oil change? I can't find any other reference to gear oil? Most wet clutch bikes, its all the same? am I missing something here? Also, I know I'm about to open a can of worms,, but suggestions on what oil to use?
Thanks

You are correct. There is only the one oil, contained in the wet sump. It does the engine and the tranny. You will notice that there are 2 drain plugs to drain the oil. I always remove both drain plugs. As I recall, about 90 % of the oil comes out the front drain, with the remainder from the rear plug.

You also need to remove the 6 bolts, from the sump, and take out the sump oil strainer, which you may find to be ripped and need repairing.

Use 20W50 motorcycle oil in these engines.

These threads always end up with 20 different oil types/grades being recommended................all claiming to be the best, so I won't mention any brands.

Yup, and i use rotella 15w40 diesel oil. But, out summers arent always smoking hot, and its alot nicer for spring and fall riding. Change every 1500kms on mine.

You will find a lot of mistakes in the aftermarket manuals. The Clymer has plenty, some from translation others from not using XS650 specific info. They often use generic info.
Pretty much the same with the Haynes. a bit better maybe.
I have the Clymer book, the Haynes book as well as all the factory books from 70-80.
I also have them all + the 81 up as downloads to my computer.
There are several places to find downloads, biker.net is one. XS-650 Garage USA has links to downloadable versions of all the years, that's where I got mine.
You can also find them on Ebay. Paper books, supplements and on CD.
I like real paper books. It just feels right.
One thing with the CD or downloads you can print out what you need and carry it to the bike.
We on here are more than glad to help. Reading the manuals can help you too. If you get stuck on something just ask.
Leo

Back