Oil inside the combustion chamber Help

FrilandXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just after I got my XS running fine for the first time with Pamco Ignition and E Advancer, the left cylinder started smoking like hell I immediately knew that oil was being burned even though all gaskets and valve seals are new.
So opened the top end and found this:
All the darker areas are wet with oil from the cam chain tunnel

sfsfsfsf_zps5941af2c.jpg

sfevcx_zps390591c1.jpg

I saw ANLAF's thread, so would compression blow away the sealant because looks like the metal rings on the gasket aren't doing it job, they didn't stop the oil getting in???

Red and Yellow lines would be sealant
HeadGasketSealer.jpg

What type of sealant did you use, and did you torque the large studs to 30 ft-lbs? The smaller head bolts get 14 ft-lbs, and the one single bolt at the back gets only 7 ft-lbs.

As I said the gasket, instaled about a mouth ago and today was te first time starting it.Tomorrow I will try sealant and the smoke will tell the result

What type of sealant did you use, and did you torque the large studs to 30 ft-lbs? The smaller head bolts get 14 ft-lbs, and the one single bolt at the back gets only 7 ft-lbs.

I still didn't do anything I wanted to ask you guys if sealent would stop the oil getting in the combustion chamber

A new head gasket and some sealant no more oil problems.

As I said the gasket, instaled about a mouth ago and today was te first time starting it

Ha, ha ,ha, This is to funny:laugh: to :wtf::banghead:

Boy do I have egg on my face:doh: I misunderstood your question. Since you showed
5twins picture of sealant on the head gasket, I understood that to mean you had already used a sealant.

Yes, by all means use sealant as shown in 5twins picture. I have only used Threebond1104, so that is the only sealant I can recommend. It worked very well for me.

Yamabond #4, Hondabond#4, and Three Bond 1104 are all the same stuff. I use it only for its intended purpose, on the metal-to-metal seal between head and rocker box and between crankcase halves. For dressing head gaskets I favor copper spray by Permatex or HK, applied to the whole gasket. I don't know if those brands are available where you are, but you can probably find something similar.

I might add if you have it apart and it was not sealing I would check that head and cylinder are flat with straight edges or a surface plate.

I have assembled it the top end but I have checked if the surface is flat, the middle of the cylinder is 0.1mm lower than the sides, thought about giving it to a machinist but first I will give the sealant a shot.
Used rubber based Innotech easy gasket, I will let you guys know if it fails.

ega.gif

Well this is getting depressing, the sealant failed. I have mounted the engine in a table to start it there and to run the engine without headers to see if smoke comes out.When I rev it,it literally spits oil from both cylinders.
So I disassembled the top end again (this time the sealant tore apart my new head gasket)
to flat the surface of the cylinder and cylinder head and the guys who did that for me suggested to use this sealant on my old gasket.Also I wont apply Innotec sealant on my last gasket because that thing STICKS and it could shred it if I need to take it apart again

Can someone tell me if the use this sealant and how they use it?

IMG-20140706-01960_zps9b2b73b9.jpg

IMG-20140706-01961_zpsd2d7e76c.jpg

IMG-20140706-01956_zpsec44298d.jpg

IMG-20140706-01955_zps939e9ce0.jpg

Those look nice right??
Well again nothing improved in the oil problem :banghead:, again without headers (exhaust pipes) is spits oil 1-1.5 meters away and smokes like hell on both cylinders.I think even without any gasket at all that amount of oil could not get in the chamber.

• Valve seals-New
• Surfaces-Flat
• Head gasket-Not that bad
• Piston ring gap : 0.65 mm (wear limit is 1 mm, right??)

Anyone, any suggestions?

Last edited:
I think your ring end gaps may be too big. The spec for the top two rings is .2-.4mm (.008"-.016"). They will keep working a bit above these specs but when you reach a certain point of wear, they give way. You may be past that point at .65mm (.026"). The only ring in spec would be your oil rails. They're speced at .3-.9mm (.012"-.036").

I did more measurements of the ring gaps :

-Top ring : 0.65 mm
-Second ring : 0.65 mm
-Oil rings : 1.5 mm

So this should be the reason of my immense amount of oil in the chamber, I'm replacing the rings and if my cylinder bore is more than 75.25 mm I should go with oversize pistons?

Back