Treasure in the Oil Filter

Fernando

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time I changed the oil filter I found some plastic bits and when I looked here I heard that its most likely coming from the cam rail guide deciding it no longer wants to work properly and disintegrate. I have since put about 500 miles on the bike and a couple of days ago I heard a new concerning sound that was metal on metal, and after checking and adjusting the valves, and timing gaps I looked into the oil filter and the picture below is what I found.

So I am asking to all the xs650 gurus what should I do while I have to pull the motor and crack at least the head off?

Im thinking I need gasket kit, front and rear cam chain guides, new cam chain, chain break tool and gasket sealer.....anything else????? I was looking at 650central.com over mikesxs because I have had some bad parts from mikesxs.

I watched the video of replacing the guides and chain but that went all the way down to the removing the jugs and I dont want to mess up my compression.

Any suggestions, tricks or tips about any of this would be greatly appreciated!

79 xs650 Special II, points ignition, starter doesnt work so not gear dust in the oil filter. In the DC area.

Attachments

• Oil Filter.jpg
    Oil Filter.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 171
Hi Fernando,
that filter debris sure looks like aluminum shavings to me.
Scrape some of it off and check with a magnet to make sure, although steel shavings would have stuck to the magnets in the drain plugs.
While I sympathize with you not wanting to dismantle any more than you must, those shavings are likely all over the engine and transmission's innards and they all gotta go!
Sorry, but it's full teardown & washtank time.

i had a piston explode in mine before I baught it. I used a case of brake cleaner and sprayed thru all the oil passages. I still get debris in my side filter. it takes a while to clear out the alum dust.

Not steel chips only aluminum and plastic. Not any more chips in the oil when drained, so im keeping my fingers crossed that it mainly got caught in both oil filters. Wont be able to truly tell until the motor is broken into.

I held a seance to ward off all bad spirits to make sure this tear down goes smoothly. :laugh:

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 138
Back