oil leak help

globalmaa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if i'm on the right track here. my 78' had a very small oil drip leak. i notice the starter bolts were loose and i tighten them up now there is a big leak . it went from a drip or two to a small puddle. i'm thinking it is the starter rubber gasket where the gear fits inside. the leak seems to be coming from in between the starter and the case running down the starter to the ground. the motor was completely rebuild and when i rode it for about 50 miles it was ok but again now that i tighten up the bolts it is leaking.

Posted via Mobile

Be careful not to overtorque. Since something has changed, you night be better off draining the oil, loosening, and retorquing to proper spec, and then check again.

Meanwhile, this may help you a bit.

TC

its weird one minute it is leaking when it is on an angle . take it up and down the street leave it park on the street running for 5 minutes maybe 1-2 drops bring it back in the garage shut it off and leave ( it is sitting more on an angle) it leaves a puddle.

Posted via Mobile

You say the motor was completely re-built. By "completely" that would have included new oil seals for the starter motor. I suspect the starter motor oil seals were not replaced.....................who did the re-build?

The only way to stop the leak is a new oil seal.

Back