Oil Leak, Replacing Left Main Oilseal 1980 XS650G

Hosk Engineering

Hosk Engineering
Reaction score
In the process of restoring my 1980 XS650G http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25861I pulled my left side cover to adjust the clutch cable.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=p7V_Igyclvs The youtube video "Side cover removal" gives a great overview of this.

I discovered there was a leak on the bottom end of my engine under the side cover. After researching the issue I determined it is most likely the left main oil seal.

I added pics below if anyone has any other diagnosis. I decided I will need to replace that seal and while I'm in there I plan on replacing the Clutch Pushrod seal that I found a good video on as well

full

full

It's your project, but I don't think I would be in too big of a big hurry to replace the LH crank shaft seal. Even with your good pics I can't see a lot of oil coming out from behind the stator? That seal is not a common leaker. Oil leaks are funny and the flow realy likes to wander around in the air currents on a moving bike.
Looks like the oil sump cover or front drain plug might be leaking. I'd clean it up really well run it a bit and try to trace the exact source of the oil. if you don't pin point it first try clean it again and keep looking. Over all it doesn't look that oily for an engine that hasn't been cared for in years. Keep us in the loop on what you find?

This thread has a lot of good information regarding this same issue. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20009

Here is a recommended thread covering the Possible successful left crank seal replacement
http://650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4510&highlight=seals

This link has a lot about seals and at the end it recommends an "Engine Oil Seal Kit" I was wondering if anyone has used this seal kit. I am considering just getting this and replacing all the seals for good measure while I have the bike torn down.
http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSseals.html

motogrid.com has what I think is the correct part for the seal I need. It is the OIL SEAL that is part of the CAMSHAFT - CHAIN part grouping. (part no. 93102-2509) http://www.motogrid.com/pages/OemParts#/Yamaha/XS650G_-_1980/CAMSHAFT_-_CHAIN/XS650G_(1980_MOTORCYCLE)/CAMSHAFT_-_CHAIN_(XS650G_-_1980)

This is the same diagram in my manual but I want to make sure it is the correct seal that is behind the alternator.

Another question is should I replace the alternator brushes while I have it torn down and where can I find these. I was thinking about replaceing the bolts that hold the alternator in place as well. Is that recommended and where do we get bolts for a 1980 XS650G since I will probably be replacing even more of them

The original thing I wanted to check was Clutch Cable. I think it just needs cleaning up but I added a pic of that also for anyone to take a look and see if they see anything that needs work on it.
full

full

I agree with Gary.
If the brushes are good don't change them. mikesxs sells them
mikes sells the bolts too
here is an other video I made for the left main oil seal.
Hope it helps.

Have you run the bike yet? I wouldn't be surprised if the oil under the LH cover was from a head gasket leak. Oil on the top of the engine would have been cleaned off by weather over the years the oil that made it inside that cover would stay there. Not saying it isn't the crank seal, just be sure. Any loud whirring noise from the bottom end?

Have you run the bike yet? I wouldn't be surprised if the oil under the LH cover was from a head gasket leak. Oil on the top of the engine would have been cleaned off by weather over the years the oil that made it inside that cover would stay there. Not saying it isn't the crank seal, just be sure. Any loud whirring noise from the bottom end?

The bike hasn't run in 25 years so I am concerned with damaging anything when starting it. It has been pointed out that the head gasket is leaking. The gasket between the cylinder head and the cylinder block is showing some signs of leakeage. Which takes me back to how far I should take this thing down.

Were it me I would do a standard start drill
oil and filters
set cam chain
set valves
re torque cylinder studs / bolts
over haul carbs.
compression tests
enough plugs out cranking of engine to circulate oil
I have a bore scope and will some times look in the cylinders to see how the bores / valves look.
PB blaster or other penetrating oil in cylinders prelim lube, "unstick" rings.
Fire it up see what you have.

I sometimes hit valve stems with PB blaster, A few guys each year will have a valve stick open on start up after long dormancy. Nice to be sure there is enough lube for the valves to move smoothly. At least one valve has spent the years sitting open, the exposed stem can rust.

Keep us in the loop as your wake up drill progresses.
How many miles on the bike? I have fired up at least 15 dormant bikes, most have gone back to being regular runners with no serious issues. #1 most likely cause of a tear down needed is going to be a worn or separated front cam chain guide. A close second is a rusted cylinder / valve from exposure to water through intake or exhaust.
Generally; if they turn over with little effort needed to free them up and the miles are lower, say less than 20K they will run with no immediate internal work needed.

Were it me I would do a standard start drill
oil and filters
set cam chain
set valves
re torque cylinder studs / bolts
over haul carbs.
compression tests
enough plugs out cranking of engine to circulate oil
I have a bore scope and will some times look in the cylinders to see how the bores / valves look.
PB blaster or other penetrating oil in cylinders prelim lube, "unstick" rings.
Fire it up see what you have.

I sometimes hit valve stems with PB blaster, A few guys each year will have a valve stick open on start up after long dormancy. Nice to be sure there is enough lube for the valves to move smoothly. At least one valve has spent the years sitting open, the exposed stem can rust.

Keep us in the loop as your wake up drill progresses.
How many miles on the bike? I have fired up at least 15 dormant bikes, most have gone back to being regular runners with no serious issues. #1 most likely cause of a tear down needed is going to be a worn or separated front cam chain guide. A close second is a rusted cylinder / valve from exposure to water through intake or exhaust.
Generally; if they turn over with little effort needed to free them up and the miles are lower, say less than 20K they will run with no immediate internal work needed.

That sounds like a good plan. I will put it in place and keep you up to date.

I pretty much am figuring its either that or something else. I inspected both seals pretty well tonight and neither are showing oil so it must be from somewhere else. Will just clean it up and move on to the other side.

Back