Oil Leak When Not Running

Buckminster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a '75 that hasn't run for a couple seasons because I haven't had the time to chase down an oil leak until now. I recently added a quart to evaluate the situation and oil is pooling towards the back around the left mounting bolt on the electric starter. I haven't started it up yet so this happens when it is not running. The clutch pushrod oil seal looks dry. Are there likely causes I can look for before I pull apart more than I have to? Thanks-

If the crankcase is wet inboard of the case cover, you're probably looking at a defective starter motor seal. To tell for sure, wipe everything down and set the bike on the side stand--oil won't flow uphill.

Or it could be the gasket that goes with the cover for the starter gears.

The seal grizld1 is talking about is just seen here in the background as you are looking at the end of the starter shaft.

Ignore the red arrows, that was for something else.
-

Attachments

• XS 650 Crank Case Acorn Nut.jpg
    XS 650 Crank Case Acorn Nut.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 78
Thanks guys. I'll look into it asap. I have not heard many complaints about starters leaking oil so I thought I ask before the wrenches got pulled out.

Alright, as a follow up to this thread I ended up changing both the electric starter oil seal and the gasket at the drivetrain cover. Both looked like they could be original. Anyone reading this with the same symptoms might save themselves some guess work and just replace both. I ended up putting the oil seal on the starter first and then using the starter to guide it into place (as some posts have talked about); it worked out really well. I have yet to start it up (I'm still working on things) but I poured a quart into it and it seems to have taken care of the issue. One other note is to be careful pulling off the cover of the drivetrain because there are some other parts it is holding in place such as a small bendy washer that could be easily lost. So, thanks for the responses and good luck to all the others.

Back