Oil leaking : Urgent diagnostic needed !

eric92

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any advice :
Oil is leaking from my engine (xs 650 3L1, 1980).
See pictures, any ideas ?
Thanks from Paris, France.
Eric

Attachments

• Photo 18-10-11 16 49 15.jpg
    Photo 18-10-11 16 49 15.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Photo 18-10-11 16 49 48.jpg
    Photo 18-10-11 16 49 48.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 194
eric92;

Bienvenue et comment ca va?

That appears to be a leak from the head gasket. You should wipe all the leaked oil off first. You can try re-torque of the large head studs (remove the top engine mount bracket) to 30 ft-lbs. This may help if the stud acorn nuts have backed off.

To cure the problem, you will likely have to replace the head gasket (means engine removal). How many kms on the engine? Do you get puffs of black smoke out the exhaust? Are you using a lot of oil................dipstick level drops quickly? If the head gasket is gone, you may be sucking oil from the camchain tunnel into the cylinders, and blackening the plugs.

France is very beautiful. I was over there last year for a short trip to Provence and to Normandy................enjoyed it very much.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your cool response.
I'll try to re-torque it. Just to borrow the material from my neighbor…
I've also bought the engine gaskets (to replace these during the cold winter nights).
The bike is 17000 kms, no black some (yet), not too much oil used but very dirty pavement at every stops ;)
Cool you enjoyed our beautiful country.
Dream to visit Canada in Autumn & winter.
Eric

That's a good sign if you are not using much oil. Perhaps the engine does not need to come apart. If the engine has good compression and not using oil, then just keep driving it. Do a good cleaning of the engine in order to see new leaks.

You probably don't want to come to Calgary in the winter..............can be -30 C:yikes:. Summer time is beautiful here and good biking into the mountains.

I had a weepy head gasket that I thought for sure I would have to replace. This last time I re-torqued the head I replaced the "used to be hard" rubber washers with the brass ones that Mikes sells. No more weepy head gasket. I'd try that first.
WN2

Search several threads about tightening head bolts. Loosen each nut until you hear and feel the big "grank" then ideally remove them completely (buff till shiny) put a little anti seize on the stud then tighten. I have had worse leaks than that stopped after bolt tightening.

Ok, it seems to be good news for me (and my wife ;))…
Thank you so much for your advices.
Will give you more news after the re-torquing job.

Here is a good thread on retorquing.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11199

Tell us how it works for you? We love to know how things that we suggest turn out "in the wild".
I tend to work on 3 or 4 XS650s per year. A head retorque is now part of my "before first fire up" routine. I am sure I will get a leak I can't stop someday but so far I am 100% on no head/base gasket leaks. I'll bet the Honda 750 single cam guys wish they could say that!

Ok, so retorquing job was done yesterday. I bought new gaskets. But news are bad.
It appears the engine is still leaking...
I first need to have it perfectly clean before making a final idea.
I'll let you know

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 183
Back