Oil Level Check

Would have been a nice day for a 600km+ ride yesterday.

Pretty sure the method to check is centre stand, unscrew oil cap/dipstick, wipe it, re-insert but don't screw it in, top up oil until it reaches the top marker. Screwed in it seems to read about 0.5cm higher.

Takes my hat off to you guys who can cover great distances on these bikes... I'm just starting out and did a 100 mile round trip on Tuesday... numb-bum and aching arms/wrists by the end with cruising at 70mph (my bike has its speed in miles), suppose i'll get used to it - just need to harden the f*ck up. :)

I.

whenever thats been a question, on any bike ive had, I change oil, add required fresh oil per manual, put it on side stand,(most usual way of parking)and seee were it is on stick, then from there on, thats were it goes. thats what ive done.

Lots of info on this site about ways to reduce vibration, ranging from easy, no or low cost (sharp tuning, smaller rear sprocket to reduce cruising rpm's) and on up the scale (reducing compression ratio) to major motor work (re-phasing the crank away from 360 degree design to 270 or 277). When I had the original buckhorn handlebars on my '82 SH, I filled them with grout to reduce the amount of vibration they transmitted into my hands and arms.

I like to have the bike upon the center stand on level ground. The dip stick should read half way between the two marks. To fill to the upper mark can cause excess oil blowby out the breather. Running at the lower mark can lead to overheating.

I like to have the bike upon the center stand on level ground. The dip stick should read half way between the two marks. To fill to the upper mark can cause excess oil blowby out the breather. Running at the lower mark can lead to overheating.

Pulling out an old topic, but wasn't there a service bulletin regarding the dipstick? Something about the marks not fitting and others should be used?

In mid 75 they changed the oil level spec. 1/2 quart less oil. After much testing on oil blowby out the breather they found the best way to prevent it was to decrease the oil level. After engine #103747 has the new level indicated by a new dipstick. The new dipstick, if you measure from the bottom of the plastic to the upper mark is 140 mm (5.5 in), With 25 mm (1 in) between the marks.
The recommended level is half way between the marks.

I always park mine up on the center (service) stand in the garage, check the oil before riding easy to do, side stand is for quick park and go stuff can't check the oil after it's all stirred up anyway

i never heard of the oil level specs changed but, i have a side cover with a sight glass ,when it's right ,in the glass, the oil is low on the dipstick.
you know the book says "put on service stand screw it out wipe it of an stick it in the hole, do not thread it in. pull it out and check oil level should be between the 2 marks.
so cool thanks for info. thats going in my notes

I completely drain the oil and fill it, per manual, adding the 2 liters for oil change, not rebuild. With the bike centered the oil level is between the sight-glass marks. I put the dipstick in, do not thread it, and it reads right bewteen the 2 marks. If I thread the stick even 1 turn or so it reads at the top of the marks, maybe a little over.

I say this 'cuz there has been some dispute about "to screw or not to screw"...in the dipstick. These are my findings on the subject.

bike on the service stand on a flat oil full to top mark on the dipstick not screwed in. No oil blowby out the breather or smoking. :shrug: Oil still full after 1000 miles of use.

I've changed my oil several times on my 83sk and I just noticed something. I always check my oil using the dipstick and not the sight glass. Today when I changed the oil I added 2 liters like I normally do. I warmed the bike up to operating temp and checked it through the sight glass while the bike was upright and not on the side stand. My oil level was barely visible at the sight glass. When I checked it at the dipstick while the bike was still upright the dipstick read the proper oil level. Should I add maybe .5 liters more oil so the sight glass reads the proper level or leave it the way it is?

I have site glass covers on both the 75 and 81. I have found that with the bike up on the center stand the dip stick half way between the marks the site glass is at the upper mark.
I also noticed that if you screw the dip stick in it reads at the top mark.
Leo

Here is the tech note.. I have a '72 and a '79. If you put the two dipsticks next to each other the top line on the '79 is halfway on the '72 stick.

Attachments

• dipstick.jpg
    dipstick.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 556
Back