Oil passage blockage

vagabond

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
In trying to get to the bottom of a chronically overheating engine at mid to high RPM, I removed my valve cover last night to find that the oil is not spraying out as liberally as I'd like it to, which points to either a faulty oil pump (not likely) or an oil passage blockage. At the moment I'm leaning towards a blockage. The sump oil filter is new, the small oil filter is clean, timing/valves/points are all correctly adjusted.

I'm planning to run some more seafoam through the oil tonight, idle for 10-15 minutes or so to work it through, then change the 20/50 to 10/40 for now to see if this makes any difference.

Does anyone have any advice on how to diagnose an oil passage blockage and where to start to address it? Since I don't have the nerve to do a tear-down with my limited maintenance experience, I'm becoming resigned to possibly having to take it in to a shop. But for now, I'll do everything I can short of a tear-down.

Thanks in advance. This forum is terrific.

i would honestly check the pump first. It's under the RH cover (kick start side) and is attached to the inside of that cover. If your sump screen was torn, that could have allowed stuff to go through the pump.

I do know that the pump is turning since the tachmeter is working, though this doesn't guarantee oil flow. Does the oil passage from the clutch case begin right under the pump?

Just for general edification, what are the indicators that an air cooled motor is overheating? Performance indicators? Sounds, etc.?

TC

(Oops, sorry... first post didn't seem to have shown up til now...)

In my case, the RH clutch case was excessively hot with steam coming off it, at mid to high RPMs the engine started to lose power, surge and buck, and then power would top out at 50mph and eventually drop to 30mph at full throttle. It would then have lots of trouble restarting until it had time to cool, then quickly start all over again.

Hmm, I don't think there's a definite thing to say, only that you know when it is happening.

I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen a blocked oil passage in a XS650. That is to say, a oil passage that was blocked due to natural causes,

Start with a compression test. Guessing that you aren't seeing as much oil as you like is not likely to help, since you don't know how much there should be. If it has gotten that hot, something is damaged and a compression test will be a good start.

John

It's nearly impossible to troubleshoot from a distance, but you've described numerous possible problems. Clutch slipping, lean mixture, incorrect ignition and or valve/cam timing as well as possible oil flow and pressure issues.

This is your third thread about your overheating. you really need to do some research yourself and take head of the answers you have already had.

Like quit being lazy and check the pump, all it takes is something to have went through it because of a torn sump filter....Easy to check clearances.

I've looked into every suggestion I've received and learn something new every time I post, which has been encouraging and accounts for the 3 posts on overheating. Thank you as always for the advice.

As for the more personal allegations of laziness and not doing my research...I can see how it would seem that way but a busy work schedule and limited maintenance knowledge/experience have made progress prohibitively slow. Rest assured I look into and benefit in some way from every suggestion but the personal ones. It's remarkable what you can learn in a month from a broken-down bike--especially humility.

Check the oil pressure relief valve. might be stuck open.

Check the free play on the pump. Xsjohn had a trick for getting oil pressure back up. Sand the pump housing down so it clamps down harder. Also, about the overheating: richen up the mix and spec timing. That should get you down to the acceptable 220F. Make sure you're running quality MOTORCYCLE or DIESEL 20W50 oil.

Realign the Tramler couplings they tend to really heat things up when the drive is differentiated.

What is making steam on your side cover?

Too measure is to know. You appear to be chasing an easy solution to a symptom which may or may not exist and is not a problem anyways it's just a symptom.

I am trying to understand the three threads, when the posters get tired of you not checking any of the offered solutions you start over and rope in a new group of helpful posters? Got to say: I like to work with guys who do some of their own work, but this approach is not impressing me.

I'm checking all offered solutions, Gary, but haven't been able to solve the problem yet. That's 3 people today who have accused me of this without knowing what I've done. That the problem hasn't been solved doesn't mean I'm not trying--I'm not sure how you all have arrived at that conclusion. I've tried to stay humble with my approach and restrained when called lazy on a public forum designed for asking questions, but I guess it doesn't matter really.

Such a great forum and good people, too. Thank you again to everyone. I'll certainly think twice before posting again.

Back