Oil Plug Leak

1987notchback

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey guys my oil plug has been leaking. the one that is on the filter side. i replaced the plug with a new one torqued it to the correct spec and it is stil leaking. any tips on what to do? thanks mike

Mike, are you using the appropriate crush washer under the plug(s)? They are hollow copper. Once they are compressed more than a few times they can fail to seal and may cause you to overtorque, potentially stripping the threads out of the case or sump plate.

TC

Mine was seeping a little bit.. a few drops on the floor over a week or so..

I usually use a blowtorch to revive copper washers if Im not installing new ones.. Get em red hot & I usually drop em in a bucket of water.. Has always served me well.

The XS650 oil drain washers are a little different, like a double layered copper, real thin... But I had no issues using my usual method. Been about 6 months since the job & not a drop of oil on my clean floor, even putting the bike away hot.

the plug and washer are new and i only installed it once. maybe it is a defective washer? maybe i should try heating it or buy a new one. the front one is also new and does not leak. thanks mike

"The one that is on the filter side"?????

If it is the rear drain bolt on the bottom that's leaking.... Check the torque on your sprocket nut. A leaking output shaft seal will run the oil down to the rear plug. A loose sprocket will cause that seal to leak, tightening the nut will often stop the leak.

Back