Oil Pump Wear

NP2650

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Inspected the parts to my oil today and noticed that there is wear/scoring on both the shaft and cover housing. Being a steel shaft rotating in an aluminum housing I'd expect some wear. Is this typical, or do these parts need to be replaced?
20230417_144855.jpg

20230417_144849.jpg

Again it is not an exact science -But lubrication is important
And pictures can be difficult interpret
Worst case the shaft looks usable the housing not so much
I would look around for replacement not necessarily New ..Is it a bigger job then Renew.
How does the rest of the pump look ?

I bought one from a salvage 5 years ago or so I cant remember it being expensive

I have not run into that myself but is there enough meat on that cover to drill and install a bushing?

The rest of the pump looks OK. I was thinking about installing a bushing too.

I see XS650Direct has a high output replacement pump. Anyone have any thoughts on the quality of that pump?

On a related subject, for the right side cover where the oil pump and filter sit, what mounting bolts (other than the oil filter cover) require a copper washer? When I removed the cover, only one of the long upper bolts had a washer, but a kit I bought suggests that 3 bolts need washers. I looked at the mounting holes in the crankcase and all of them seem to terminate without any opening to an oil filled area, and all of the bolts go through the gasket, so just unclear about the placement and need for the washers.

Oh jeeze what kind of oil are you using? LOL
the partz manuals are full of it

:twocents: The two that hold the oil filter cover on and all the bolts below the engine oil fill level. Been working for me, others opinions WILL vary.
But I buy a hundred at a time from China and don't hold back on using them.

The right side of my engine has zero copper washers.... none, zip... nada....
Think about it... they're all blind holes. Where the hell is the oil gonna come from?
4yrs, 5k plus miles and nary a wiff of oil. Proof's in the puddin' as they say. :whistle:

Think about it... they're all blind holes. Where the hell is the oil gonna come from?
4yrs, 5k plus miles and nary a wiff of oil. Proof's in the puddin' as they say. :whistle:
We don't all have Jim's meticulous engine assembly skills. 🙄
Gasket surface is thinnest at the bolt holes?

Gasket surface is thinnest at the bolt holes?
Dammit... made me go look..... :whistle:

Nope. Plenty of meat 'round the holes. It's a mystery to me why they want coppers there. :umm:

1681929275150.png

1681929301984.png

Well, they do look cool:cool: ...and the "which goes where" factor keeps things interesting;)

Same here no copper washers and no leaks.

Back